Make Instant Pot Taco Meat quickly from frozen ground beef or turkey thanks to this Instant Pot recipe. Perfect for taco night or any busy weeknight dinner!
We've all been there. You plan on making tacos for dinner but when evening rolls around, you realize you haven't defrosted the ground meat.
Enter the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Not only will it defrost your ground beef or turkey, it will also cook it — all in just 30 minutes.
- If you make a large batch, you can use it in all sorts of different ways, including dishes like Taco Pizza, Taco Pasta, Taco Mac and Cheese, and taco salads.
- The versatility really helps you stretch your dollar when grocery shopping.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy recipe.
Ground turkey - We almost always use ground turkey. However, you can use lean ground beef, ground pork, or even ground chicken.
Taco seasoning - I like to have this pre-made taco seasoning mix on-hand. But you can use your own homemade taco seasoning, too.
Water - to help cook the meat in the Instant Pot.
✅ Step-by-step directions
Total cooking time is just around 30 minutes to make this flavorful taco meat.
Exact measurements of ingredients and instructions are in the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this post. Here are some helpful tips to guide you as you make this recipe.
1. Place the trivet that came with your Instant Pot inside the inner pot. Pour ½ cup of water into the pot; reserve the rest of the water for later.
2. Then place the frozen meat on top of the trivet.
3. Close and seal the lid. Set your Instant Pot to Pressure Cook on High for 25 minutes. It will take anywhere from 9 to 15 minutes for your Instant Pot to come to pressure before it starts counting down.
4. When the cook cycle is done, allow 10 minutes for natural release, then do a quick release. Once all of the pressure has been safely released and the valve pin has gone down, carefully open the lid.
5. Remove the trivet. Press the SAUTE function and add the remaining water and the taco seasoning. Stir until combined, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon and evenly coating the meat with the seasoning.
⭐️ Recipe FAQs
It takes longer for the Instant Pot to come to pressure with frozen meat, as it requires more heating time. Using a meat thermometer is a great way to check the internal temperature of the meat to make sure it's done. Ground beef and ground turkey should be at 165°F when done.
Yes, you can use chicken or beef broth if you prefer. This will impart the meat with the broth flavors which may clash with whatever taco seasoning you use. So I use water instead.
Store your leftover taco meat in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for 3-4 days. If you need to save it for longer, place it in a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag and date it. Taco meat will stay good for up to 4 months in the freezer.
More taco recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Instant Pot Taco Meat
- 1 pound ground turkey meat or ground beef
- 1 cup water, divided
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- Pour ½ cup of water into the instant pot liner. Add trivet and place frozen meat on top of trivet.
- Close and seal lid. Pressure Cook (or Manual) on HIGH for 25 minutes. Allow for Natural Release for 10 minutes, then do a Quick Release for the remaining time. Once the pressure is completely released and the valve pin is down, press CANCEL.
- Carefully open the lid. Remove the trivet. Press SAUTE and add the remaining water and the taco seasoning. Stir until combined, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.