When the next taco night rolls around, make it the best ever Taco Tuesday by using your own Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning! This pantry staple is super easy to make in 5 minutes using simple ingredients you already have on hand. And, you can use this taco seasoning recipe for more than just tacos!
If you're still buying store-bought taco seasoning, I encourage you to try your hand at making your own taco blend. It's easy to make with basic spices and a small mason jar in just 5 minutes!
Homemade taco seasoning is a versatile blend of spices that adds so much flavor to any dish. Creating your own taco seasoning allows you to tailor the flavors and spice level to your personal taste preferences while avoiding any unwanted additives or preservatives commonly found in a store-bought seasoning packet.
Once you try your own DIY taco seasoning, you won't go back to the little packets from the store!
🌟 Why this recipe works
This homemade mild taco seasoning recipe is:
- Easy - The best part of this simple recipe is how easy it is to make!
- Fast - You can make this taco mix in just 5 minutes.
- Delicious - This is a fairly mild taco seasoning recipe, which makes it versatile to use in so many different dishes.
- Healthier - Store-bought taco seasoning often includes a long list of ingredients like added preservatives. With homemade seasoning, you know exactly what's in it and can
🛒 Ingredient notes
This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe is made with simple ingredients - dried spices - that you probably already have in your pantry or spice drawer.
- Paprika - This warm, sweet spice adds a nice depth of flavor without adding heat.
- Chili powder - This smoky spice adds just a little bit of heat to the taco seasoning.
- Garlic powder & onion powder - Gotta have both garlic and onion powder for the most flavorful taco seasoning! You could use fresh minced garlic, however that would shorten the shelf life of this seasoning so I suggest sticking with the powder form.
- Cumin and oregano - These two spices are what give this seasoning another layer of flavor, thanks to the earthy flavors from ground cumin and oregano's herbaceous notes. Don't skip either one!
- Salt & pepper - Use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
This taco seasoning blend is easy to make! The full list of ingredients and instructions is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here is a photo step-by-step guide of how to make this tasty taco mix!
- Add all of the spices together in a jar or other airtight container.
- Either whisk together until combined, or secure the lid to the jar and shake until well combined.
- Label the jar with the date you made the spice blend, make sure the lid is secure, then store in a cool, dark place like a spice drawer, spice cabinet, or your pantry until you're ready to use it.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
- Use fresh spices. Always check the expiration date of your spices. While most spices may be usable and last for years, their flavors weaken as more time passes. With homemade taco seasoning mix, you'll want the flavors of each spice and dried herb to be as fresh as possible for the best results.
- Label the jar. I always keep some washi tape and a sharpie pen in our kitchen to label food containers. Write the item and the date you made it, so there's no guessing game as to when it might go bad.
To increase the spice levels, you could add more chili powder, a spicy chili powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes if you prefer a little more spice.
Store in an airtight container like a mason jar at room temperature in a spice drawer, spice cupboard, or other dark cool place, for up to 6 months.
🍽 Serving ideas
But it's also so good on more delicious recipes than just traditional tacos! Try a few tablespoons of homemade taco mix in Sheet Pan Tex-Mex Vegetarian Nachos, Taco Mac & Cheese recipe, Taco Pizza, Taco Pasta, and Taco Dip with Ground Beef. Use it in this Mexican Lasagna, too!
More taco recipes
If you're using this taco seasoning for tacos, be sure to check out these side dishes for What to Serve with Tacos. And here are more delicious taco recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning
- Add all of the spices together in a jar and either whisk together until combined, or secure the lid to the jar and shake until well combined.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.