Looking for ideas for what to do with Taco Tuesday leftovers? Try my easy Taco Pasta! It's full of bell peppers, onions, and garlic, and topped with traditional taco toppings like sour cream, cheddar cheese, and cilantro.
We don't always do Taco Tuesdays in our house, but when we do, one thing can be certain: we will have a LOT of leftover taco meat.
If you're looking for a way to use up those leftovers, this is one of my favorite leftover taco meat recipes. Try this super delicious, fast, and easy dinner recipe for Taco Pasta!
How to Make This Taco Pasta Recipe
Step 1 - First, cook the pasta in a large stockpot.
Step 2 - Then, in a large skillet, sauté up some onions, garlic, and peppers.
Step 3 - Add the leftover taco meat to the skillet. You don't need to add any extra seasoning because the meat is already seasoned with your special delicious taco seasoning. Then sauté a couple of minutes more until the peppers are soft and the pasta is cooked.
Step 5 - Finally, add the cooked pasta to the skillet and mix up all of those gorgeous ingredients together.
Optional: Top with a generous dollop of sour cream, mix in some shredded cheddar cheese, and add a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
Taco Pasta: Your New Favorite Leftover Taco Meat Recipe
What you get is a bright, vibrant, beautiful pasta dish. This recipe transforms leftover taco meat into a totally different meal that will make your tastebuds do the happy dance!
Yes! Without the optional mix-ins and add-ons, this recipe is dairy-free.
Chopped cilantro is an optional garnish, but it adds a nice, bright, lively note to the dish. You can substitute parsley for cilantro if you prefer.
Taco Tuesday Take Two: Taco Pasta!
- 1 cup uncooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped bell peppers red, orange, and or yellow; I use a mix of all three!
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves
- Leftover taco meat - however much you have! I usually have about 1 to 1-½ cups worth.
- 1 14- ounce can of diced tomatoes
- Optional: sour cream shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped cilantro or chopped parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large stockpot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic to the pan. Sauté over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, stirring to ensure ingredients do not stick to the pan and also ensuring the garlic does not burn.
- Once the onions look slightly translucent and soft, add the leftover taco meat and sauté for another 1-2 minutes to heat the meat.
- Add diced tomatoes to the skillet and continue stirring and sautéeing for another 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes are heated.
- Drain the pasta, leaving approximately 3-4 tablespoons of hot pasta water in the pot, and add the pasta to the skillet.
- Stir the pasta until it is thoroughly coated with the tomato meat sauce. Add a tablespoon of the hot pasta water to the skillet as needed to help create more of a sauce.
- Once the pasta is evenly coated with the sauce, remove from heat.
- Top with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and/or parsley if you wish. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
Have you ever made taco pasta with your Taco Tuesday leftovers before? What's your favorite leftover taco meat meal?