Take Game Days, your next Taco Tuesday or Cinco de Mayo party, or any fun party to the next level with this fast, easy, delicious Taco Dip with Ground Beef. It's the perfect chips & dip appetizer that's always a crowd pleaser!
It's so fun to take classic flavors from one dish and do a recipe mashup to create a whole new dish. And taco flavors are one of the best to work with!
In the past, we've made these recipes for Taco Pizza and Taco Pasta part of our regular dinner rotations. And in my constant love of cooking experiments, I created this Taco Dip with Ground Beef.
Oh my word, it is SO tasty! I personally ate a whole small bowl with my fave tortilla chips in one sitting. I hope you love this chips and dip recipe, too!
🌟 Why this recipe works
Your next party needs some chips and dip, am I right? Every party does!
This easy taco dip recipe is a great appetizer for so many reasons:
- Easy - This cheesy beef taco dip is made in one pan with just 5 simple ingredients (plus any additional toppings you want to add). It's a very easy recipe to make! See the step-by-step instructions below.
- Fast - You can make this dip in about 15-20 minutes.
- Flavorful - If you like the savory taco flavors, you'll love this cheesy ground beef taco dip!
🛒 Ingredient notes
The best taco dip recipe only requires five ingredients! These are all simple ingredients that are easy to
- Ground Beef - I find that lean ground beef gives the best flavor and that authentic taco flavor. But you can substitute ground turkey or even ground chicken in this recipe.
- Taco seasoning - Use your own homemade taco seasoning or your favorite store-bought taco seasoning. You can also substitute this Fajita Seasoning.
- Tomatoes - while you could use fresh diced tomatoes, my recipe testing found that a can of Rotel tomatoes is not only the easier option, but also quite tasty! My family prefers the mild Rotel tomatoes, but you can also use spicy if you prefer some heat. You can substitute chunky salsa or fresh diced roma tomatoes if you prefer.
- Cream cheese - You'll need one block of cream cheese, softened to room temperature. If you use cream cheese straight from the cold refrigerator, it will take longer to melt and it won't blend as evenly with the other ingredients while cooking.
- Shredded cheese - use Mexican-style shredded cheese for the best flavor. You can also use shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cilantro - finely chop cilantro to sprinkle for a final hit of bright flavor before serving. You can substitute parsley.
Make it dairy free: You can substitute your favorite dairy-free cream cheese and dairy-free cheddar or Mexican-style shreds.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
It's so easy to make this cheesy, ground beef Mexican dip! Full ingredient measurements and instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here's a step-by-step visual guide to help you along the way.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, just until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add the ground beef. Cook and crumble beef until you have brown ground beef.
3. Add the Rotel tomatoes, taco seasoning, cream cheese block and shredded cheese.
4. Continually stir the ingredients together until the cheeses melt.
5. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and your favorite toppings.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
For the best results, reheat this taco dip on the stovetop over medium heat until heated through. You can also reheat in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave in 30-second increments until heated through. If you're using the microwave, suggest adding a teaspoon to a tablespoon of water or olive oil (the amount depends on the amount of dip you are reheating) to help wake up the liquids in this dip.
Allow the dip to cool, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four or five days.
🍽 Serving ideas
Serve this cheesy dip with tortilla chips -- it's the perfect chip and dip combo!
You can also let guests add their own favorite taco toppings to the dip. Serve along with bowls of chopped green onions, freshly diced tomatoes, sour cream, black olives, green chiles, and/or black beans.
If you're hosting a Game Day party, serve it with:
Serving this for Cinco de Mayo or Taco Tuesday? Make it with these dishes:
🍷 🥂 Wine pairings
This taco dip pairs well with both white wine and red wine. If you're in the mood for a white wine, pair it with a Sauvignon Blanc. If you're in the mood for a red wine, pair it with a Spanish Garnacha or a Sangiovese.
More appetizer recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Taco Dip with Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 can (10 ounces) Rotel tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Optional: chopped cilantro, lime wedges, black olives for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and onions. Sauté just until they're soft and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon, and cook just until cooked through.
- Stir in the tomatoes, taco seasoning, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Keep stirring and cook until all of the cheese is melted.
- Optional: sprinkle in some chopped cilantro, and serve topped with black olives and with sides of lime wedges. Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.