Whether you need a Game Day appetizer or a dinner the whole family will love, these Air Fryer Potato Skins are sure to be a winner!
When it comes to Game Day, we love making a huge spread of Game Day appetizers. Usually some fun finger food like Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Wings,
Potato skins are a longtime classic Game Day dish, and now the air fryer makes them even better than ever! These Air Fryer Potato Skins are so easy to make, and always a hit, whether they're served for a tailgating party or as a side dish or main course for family dinners!
🌟 Why this recipe works
Once you make potato skins in the air fryer, you won't want to go back to the old way of making them!
- The air fryer makes it easy to cook the potatoes. No need to watch a boiling pot of water worrying it will bubble over.
- Because of the circulated air, the potato skins get nice and crispy quickly. It takes just 4 to 8 minutes to air fry the filled potato skins, compared to 20 minutes if you baked these in an oven.
- Easy clean up: air fryer baskets are usually non-stick and super easy to clean.
🛒 Ingredient notes
The above photo shows you the ingredients you need to make these air fryer potato skins. Here are some additional notes on the ingredients:
Potatoes - Use russet potatoes or other baking potatoes for this recipe.
Toppings - The recipe calls for shredded cheddar cheese and cooked bacon crumbles, then green onions as a garnish. You can also top these with other types of cheese, tomatoes, cilantro or parsley, butter, and/or fresh garlic.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
- Pierce the potatoes with the tines of a fork a couple of times on all sides.
- Brush the outsides of the potatoes lightly with olive oil.
3. Place potatoes inside the air fryer. Air fry at 400°F for 30 to 35 minutes, until the centers are soft.
4. Allow the potatoes to cool down. Once cool enough to handle, slice each potato in half lengthwise.
5. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and place into a bowl.
6. Lightly brush the insides of the hollowed out potatoes with olive oil, or spray lightly with olive oil spray.
7. Fill each potato skin with 2 to 3 Tablespoons each of shredded cheese and bacon.
8. Place into the air fryer and air fry for 4 to 8 minutes, just until the cheese has melted. Top with chopped green onions and serve with any additional optional toppings.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
It's best to cook the potato skins in an air fryer for 30-35 minutes. This makes it easy to scoop out the center of the potato - plus you can save those to make mashed potatoes!
Allow the potatoes to cool completely, then store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can make these potato skins in advance, and then refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you're ready to serve, simply reheat in the air fryer at 350°F for 2 to 3 minutes, until the potatoes are warmed up the whole way through.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
You'll need an air fryer to make this recipe. I've owned several, and my favorite is our current air fryer: the Ninja Foodi Dual Zone Air Fryer. My family uses this air fryer every single day, usually multiple times a day!
We also use our Ninja Foodi Deluxe XL Pressure Cooker in air fry mode to make these. This is a great appliance if you want an all-in-one type of multicooker that pressure cooks as well as air fries.
🍽 Serving ideas
These air fryer potato skins are perfect Game Day appetizers. Serve them with Dairy-Free Queso Dip, Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings, and Buffalo Chicken Bites.
You can also enjoy these as a side dish for Instant Pot BBQ Ribs, Breaded Chicken Tenders, or Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder.
More air fryer recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- 3 medium to large russet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: sides of sour cream, chopped tomatoes, additional chives, chopped parsley.
- Brush the outsides of the potatoes lightly with olive oil. Pierce the potatoes with the tines of a fork a couple of times on all sides, then place potatoes inside the air fryer. Air fry at 400°F for 30 to 35 minutes, until the centers are soft.
- Allow the potatoes to cool down. Once cool enough to handle, slice each potato in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and place into a bowl.
- Lightly brush the insides of the hollowed out potatoes with olive oil, or spray lightly with olive oil spray. Fill each potato skin with 2 to 3 Tablespoons each of shredded cheese and bacon.
- Place into the air fryer and air fry for 4 to 8 minutes, just until the cheese has melted. Top with chopped green onions and serve with any additional optional toppings.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
Leave a Reply