Instant Pot BBQ Ribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce is fall-off-the-bone tender and tangy, and ready in just about 30 minutes! This recipe includes homemade BBQ rub and homemade BBQ sauce, but you can use store-bought sauce and rub to save time.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my policy page for details.
Many many years ago, the Instant Pot was introduced to the world. I fought purchasing this fancy new electric pressure cooker for a long time. And then, I finally caved and bought an 8-quart Instant Pot Duo.
I fell IN LOVE. Hard. And to this day, I still use either my Instant Pot or my Ninja Foodi at least once almost every single day.
The first Instant Pot recipe that I made all those years ago? Instant Pot BBQ Ribs. I've tweaked the recipe a bit over the years, but it's still one of our Go To dinner recipes that is in permanent rotation.
What you need to make these ribs
You'll need either an 8-quart Instant Pot Duo or a 6-quart Instant Pot.
You'll also need:
Making BBQ Ribs in the Instant Pot
You'll actually start making the sauce first. It's a very simple one-pot recipe, which allows you to combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, and then simmer on low while the ribs are cooking.
I adapted the spice rub, and instead of store-bought BBQ sauce, I added our special homemade BBQ sauce as the finishing touch.
If you want maximum flavor, you can start the sauce 30 minutes before you start making the ribs. That way, the sauce simmers for a full hour from start to finish, and the spices have even more time to mingle and the sauce is even more flavorful.
These ribs came out PERFECT. They were juicy, tender, moist...everything you want ribs to be.
And it only too 25 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot, and then a 5-minute finish in the broiler. AMAZING!!
What to serve with BBQ Ribs
- Ultimate Creamy Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese
- Corn with Basil Lime Butter
- Ricotta Crostini with Summer Berries and Honey
- Air Fryer (Ninja Foodi) Broccoli
These ribs are perfect for:
- Game Day, tailgating/homegating parties
- 4th of July barbecues
- busy weeknight dinners
- potlucks and picnics
- feeding the whole hungry family!
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs Recipe
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Instant Pot ribs
- 1 rack of baby back pork ribs
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
Make the BBQ Sauce
- In a medium saucepot over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients. Stir well, and bring mixture to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer on low, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the ribs.
Make the Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Rub evenly over the ribs.
- Place rack insert inside the Instant Pot. Place ribs standing on their side inside, on top of the rack insert, and wrap around the inside of the pot.
- Carefully pour water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke into the center of the pot, making sure you don't wash off any of the delicious seasoning on the ribs.
- Close and secure the lid. Make sure the vent is turned to SEALING. Press PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button and set to 25 minutes. The unit will take a few minutes to come to pressure (10-15 minutes), then pressure cooking will start. Once pressure cooking is complete, allow for Natural Release for 10 minutes, then use tongs to carefully turn the knob to VENTING to Quick Release.
- During this time, don't forget to stir the BBQ sauce once in a while!
- Once the pin is all the way down, indicating pressure has been released, carefully open the lid. Use tongs to remove the ribs from the pot, set on a foil-lined baking sheet, and brush with the barbecue sauce.
- Broil for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe inspired by the Neely's BBQ Sauce.
I LOVE my Instant Pot now, and I love these BBQ ribs!
Do you have an Instant Pot? If so, what else do you love to make in it?