This Instant Pot Vegetarian Burrito Bowl recipe is easy to make in under 30 minutes, and it's a hearty, delicious meal that you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
If you are hungry - and I mean, REALLY hungry! - burrito bowls are a great meal to make to satisfy those cravings!
They are easy to make, easy to customize, and you can enjoy them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This particular recipe is a slightly different version of the Black Bean Burrito Bowl recipe on page 210-211 of my cookbook, The Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker Meal Prep Cookbook.
- 🌟 Why you'll love this one-pot dish
- 🌽 Ingredients to make vegetarian burrito bowls
- ✅ Step-by-step instructions
- ❓ Recipe FAQs
- 🥘 Kitchen tools and equipment
- 🥑 What to serve with instant pot burrito bowls
- 🥂 Best wine pairings for burrito bowls
- 👩🏻🍳 More Mexican inspired recipes to try
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
🌟 Why you'll love this one-pot dish
Vegetarians and meat eaters alike will LOVE these Instant Pot Vegetarian Burrito Bowls.
- The recipe calls for simple, inexpensive pantry ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
- You can make this entire dish in less than 30 minutes.
- This recipe makes a LOT of food: about 6 to 8 servings.
- It's perfect for meal planning and meal prep! Make a batch on Meal Prep Day and then enjoy throughout the week.
- You can customize these burrito bowls with so many different kinds of toppings. So every serving is never boring!
- This is the kind of Mexican-inspired dish that you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
🌽 Ingredients to make vegetarian burrito bowls
Black beans - The recipe calls for canned black beans, drained.
Corn - Use fresh or frozen corn for this recipe.
Salsa - You can use homemade salsa or your favorite store-bought salsa.
Rice - The recipe calls for long grain white rice. If you choose to substitute brown rice, you may need to add a couple of minutes to the cooking time.
Broth - You can use vegetable broth or water to add liquid to cook the ingredients in the Instant Pot.
Spices - You'll need a combination of ground paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder. And, of course, some kosher salt and pepper. You can also make a batch of this Homemade Fajita Seasoning or Homemade Cajun Seasoning and use either of these.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
Place the beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder in your Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Stir to combine.
Add the salsa on top but do NOT stir.
Spread the rice evenly over the top of the salsa, then pour the vegetable broth or water over the rice.
Using a spoon, gently push down on the ingredients so they are mostly submerged in the liquid.
Assemble the pressure lid, making sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE (or MANUAL, depending on your pressure cooker), and set the heat to HI. Set the time to 10 minutes, then start.
When the cooking is complete, allow for Natural Pressure for 5 minutes (i.e. do not do anything for 5 minutes), then do a Quick Release by carefully turning the pressure release valve to the VENT position. Once all pressure has been released and the release valve is all the way down, carefully open the lid.
Stir the ingredients, then scoop them into bowls. Add any optional toppings you wish.
❓ Recipe FAQs
Top these burrito bowls to keep them vegan:
- avocado slices
- pico de gallo
- pickled onions
For additional vegetarian toppings, add:
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
Allow burrito bowls to cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days.
To reheat: microwave for 1 minute, stir, then reheat for longer until all of the ingredients are warmed up. I like to add a teaspoon of water to any rice dish like this when reheating in the microwave. This helps return some moisture that is lost during the refrigeration process.
🥘 Kitchen tools and equipment
For this recipe, you just need a few basic kitchen tools:
Electric Pressure Cooker - You can make this recipe in a 6- or 8-quart Instant Pot, 6- or 8-quart Ninja Foodi, or other electric pressure cooker.
Wooden spoon - You'll need a wooden spoon to mix together the ingredients.
🥑 What to serve with instant pot burrito bowls
There are so many delicious ways you can serve these instant pot vegetarian burrito bowls!
- For breakfast, add a side of Salsa Eggs for a big hearty meal. Or simple add a fried egg on top.
- Enjoy a burrito bowl portion for lunch on its own, or with a side salad or small soup.
- For dinner, make some Corn Fritters or Cauliflower Fritters to go with them.
And if you're not a vegetarian, you can add a serving of this delectable Instant Pot Shredded Chicken.
🥂 Best wine pairings for burrito bowls
You could go with either a white wine pairing or a red wine pairing for these vegetarian burrito bowls.
If you prefer white wine, reach for a glass of a crisp Sauvignon Blanc, Vinho Verde, or Albariño.
Red wine lovers, try pairing this dish with an Argentinian Malbec or a Shiraz.
Or, meet in the middle and pair this burrito bowl with a dry Rosé wine.
👩🏻🍳 More Mexican inspired recipes to try
If you like this recipe, try one of my other Mexican-inspired and Tex Mex recipes. If you eat meat, you might love these Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas. If you want to stick with a vegetarian dish, try these easy and satisfying Tex Mex Sheet Pan Vegetarian Nachos.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Instant Pot Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 cups white rice I use basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- sliced or chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes
- Place the beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder in your Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Stir to combine.
- Add the salsa on top but do NOT stir.
- Spread the rice evenly over the top of the salsa, then pour the vegetable broth or water over the rice. Using a wooden spoon, gently push down on the ingredients so they are mostly submerged in the liquid.
- Assemble the pressure lid, making sure the pressure release valve is in the SEAL position. Select PRESSURE (or MANUAL, depending on your pressure cooker), and set the heat to HI. Set the time to 10 minutes, then start.
- When the cooking is complete, allow for Natural Pressure for 5 minutes (i.e. do not do anything for 5 minutes), then do a Quick Release by carefully turning the pressure release valve to the VENT position. Once all pressure has been released and the release valve is all the way down, carefully open the lid.
- Stir the ingredients, then scoop them into bowls. Add any optional toppings you wish.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This is such flavorful burrito bowl! And so easy to make! Even better the next day!
Yup! I could eat this every night. Love myself a burrito bowl, great recipe!
What a fun and delicious recipe. I love cooking in the instant pot and this recipe came out perfectly. Thank you for the rice recommendation. I know that they all cook a little differently and basmati worked great.
Sisley White - Sew White says
This was so tasty! I love burrito bowls and they work so well for making tasty leftovers too.