Looking for a yummy make-ahead sweet treat? Banana Crumb Coffee Cake is perfect for brunches, afternoon tea, or even as an indulgent breakfast!
Mother's Day is this coming Sunday! How are you celebrating the moms in your life (or yourself!)?
I'm back home after spending an AMAZING 11 days in Ireland (follow my Instagram feed and stories for pics and watch for travel tips here soon!). I love traveling but it's so nice to be home with my family again. We're planning a low-key Mother's Day brunch here at our house with my parents, and my brother and his family.
Recently, I shared 35 Make-Ahead Brunch Recipes that are perfect for Mother's Day. And I am excited to share one more: my make-ahead Banana Crumb Coffee Cake!
Got ripe bananas to use up?
If you buy a lot of bananas like we do, you inevitably also end up with some ripe ones near the end of their prime that you want to use up. There's only so much chocolate chip banana bread one can make.
So I also like to make this Banana Crumb Coffee Cake to mix things up.
Bananas + Coffee Cake + Crumb Topping = Food Bliss
I used to think that coffee cake had actual coffee in it. Nope. Coffee cake is named as such because it is usually enjoyed with a cup of coffee. That said, I think it would be amazing to make an espresso coffee cake! But, that's for another time.
Right now, let's talk bananas. If you have a couple of ripe bananas that you need to use up, this banana coffee cake with streusel topping recipe is a delicious way to do so!
Dairy-Free Banana Crumb Coffee Cake
This Banana Crumb Coffee Cake recipe is:
- more moist and tender than plain ol' coffee cake, thanks to the addition of ripe bananas,
- dairy-free, although you can use regular dairy if you don't have a dairy allergy or sensitivity,
- topped with crunchy sweet crumb topping
- perfect with a cup of tea or coffee for breakfast, brunch, afternoon snack, or after dinner dessert!
How far in advance can I make this recipe?
You can make this yummy recipe a day in advance and either store at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze this cake inside an airtight freezer-safe container for up to one month. Simply thaw at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
More Recipes You Might Like:
- Classic Chocolate Chip Bars
- Gingerbread Loaf with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Mini Citrus Bundt Cakes
And check out my latest cookbook, The Super Easy Teen Baking Cookbook. It has 60 beginner-friendly, step-by-step baking recipes.
Banana Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
Banana Crumb Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature again, use vegan butter for dairy-free option
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk (you can also use 1%, 2%, whole milk, or even buttermilk)
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with butter or cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, use your hands or two forks to crumble together the cold butter cubes, flour, sugars, and cinnamon until the mixture resembles a crumbly topping. Set aside the crumb mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, mix softened butter on medium until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and mix for another minute, until well incorporated. Then add the eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and mix just until ingredients are incorporated (do not overmix!)
- Turn the mixer down to low, and alternate mixing in milk and flour until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour half of the cake mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with ⅓ - ¼ of the crumb mixture. Then pour the remaining cake mixture on top of that layer and finally, top evenly with the remaining crumb topping.
- Bake at 350º for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the optional glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk. Add more milk as needed until you get the glaze consistency you prefer. Set aside.
- Cool at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before drizzling the glaze over the top, slicing, and serving.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.