Spamsilog is a classic Filipino breakfast or brunch, with just three ingredients. It's a satisfying, hearty breakfast that's perfect for leisurely weekends as well as busy weekday mornings.
Growing up, my Lola would cook Spam, eggs, and rice a LOT. I joke that we used to eat this almost every day, but it's not far from the truth.
Spamsilog is a Filipino dish that is usually served for breakfast, but can also be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. It consists of Spam, eggs, and rice.
The term itself comes from the ingredients in the dish: Spam + Sinangag (garlic rice) + Itlog (fried egg). Hence: Spamsilog!
If you haven't tried this yet, give it a shot and let me know what you think!
🌟 Why this recipe works
Spamsilog is a popular Filipino food for so many reasons.
- Fast: You can make this in 15 to 20 minutes. Fast-track to Flavortown!
- Simple: The recipe calls for just 3 ingredients.
- Delicious: It's a delicious way to enjoy leftover rice or fried rice. The salty meatiness from the Spam and the fried egg make it a trifecta of flavor.
- You can make the eggs however you wish.
- Satisfying: It's a super satisfying, hearty dish that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
🛒 Ingredient notes
You only need 3 ingredients to make this delicious Filipino recipe!
Rice - Spamsilog is best enjoyed with day-old rice, so it's a great way to use leftover fried rice or garlic rice. You can also make our Instant Pot Garlic Rice. Feel free to use your favorite rice.
Spam - We use either the low-sodium Spam or regular canned Spam. You'll find Spam in the canned goods aisle of your local grocery store. Some stores might have Spam in their Asian section. You can also buy Spam online.
Eggs - Spamsilog is usually enjoyed with fried eggs, either sunnyside up, over easy or over medium. But honestly, you can make the eggs any way you like, even scrambled eggs with this if you prefer.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
- Make your Sinangag garlic rice. You can use our Instant Pot Garlic Rice recipe, or your own. You can also use plain white rice.
- Next, add the oil to the skillet and cook the Spam until crispy on both sides. Some people prefer Spam slices to be crispy on the outside, and others prefer it to be softer. Cook according to your tastebuds! When cooked, transfer the Spam to a plate and set aside.
3. Cook the eggs in the skillet. I prefer my Spamsilog with sunnyside up eggs, but you can make the eggs however you wish: over easy, over medium, or even scrambled.
4. Plate a scoop of the garlic rice, 2 or 3 slices of Spam, and an egg or two on each dish.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Spam is fairly high in fat, sodium, and calories, and low in vitamins and minerals. It was a popular war-time food because of it's long shelf-life - it essentially has no expiration date. Is it delicious? Yes! But it is not the healthiest ingredient out there.
Spam lists their ingredients as: chopped pork shoulder mixed with ham, salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite.
Allow the food to cool completely, then store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat in a pan on the stove.
🍽 Serving ideas
Spamsilog is a full meal on its own, and is delicious with your morning coffee or a big morning green smoothie. You know, for balance!
You can also try our Longsilog recipe, which is a version with longganisa, a Filipino sweet sausage.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
You'll need a large skillet and a spatula to make Spamsilog.
More Filipino recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can SPAM, sliced into about 8 slices
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups Sinangag or make Instant Pot Garlic Rice
- Add oil to a large non-stick skillet. Working in batches, add the SPAM slices and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until the SPAM reaches your preferred level of crispiness. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Break the eggs over the skillet and cook sunnyside up. Or, flip the eggs and cook until over easy, over medium, or over well -- whatever each person prefers. Transfer eggs to a plate.
- Set out four plates and add a serving of Sinangag (Instant Pot Garlic Rice), one egg, and two slices of Spam. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
Leave a Reply