This Slow Cooker Meatball Soup recipe takes just a bit of prep work, and then the slow cooker does the rest! Delicious, flavorful, hearty rich soup that will warm you right up!
There are days when only slow cooker soup will do. Rich, hearty, satisfying hot soup that takes minutes to put together, and then cooks low and slow while you go about your day.
❤️ Why you'll love this meatball soup
I love this slow cooker meatball soup recipe! Here are some reasons you might love it too.
- This soup is SO easy to make! Dump all of your ingredients into the slow cooker and let it work its magic.
- You can either make your own meatballs. Or, to save time, use frozen meatballs.
- It's so hearty, rich, and satisfying.
- The recipe makes a large amount.
- You can freeze leftovers and enjoy them later!
🍽 Serving ideas
This is a hearty dish with big flavors. And it already has pasta and tons of vegetables in it. So it stands well on its own as a complete meal.
However, it's also great enjoyed with your favorite side salad and some breadsticks or rolls.
🍷 Wine pairing
I love a medium- to full-bodied red wine with this soup. The robust flavors call for a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Syrah, or an Italian Nebbiolo.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You don't have to brown the meatballs before slow cooking this soup. The meatballs come out delicious without browning first.
But if you want a crisp outer edge to the meatballs, you can brown them in a separate pan on your stovetop first. Toss them with some olive oil over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Then continue with the recipe.
Yes! Absolutely. If you aren't going to be eating this meatball soup recipe right away, you can leave it in the slow cooker for up to an hour after it's done cooking. Use the Buffet setting or Warm setting if you have it; otherwise, use whatever the lowest setting is to keep your soup warm.
Yes! This soup recipe is soup-er (ha!) freezer-friendly.
Allow the soup to cool before transferring portions to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to two months. When you're ready to eat, heat up frozen soup in a stockpot over medium heat until it's warmed up and thawed out.
More dinner recipes
- Best Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
- Creamy Vegan Pasta with Crispy Mushrooms
- One Pot Lasagna Soup (Dairy-Free)
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup (Vegan)
- Dutch Oven Shepherd's Pie
Slow Cooker Meatball Soup
- 1 package 24 ounces frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 1 ½ cups carrots sliced (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup celery sliced or chopped (about 2 celery ribs)
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups frozen baby spinach
- 3 cans 14.5 ounces each beef broth
- 2 cans 14.5 ounces each petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¾ cup dry red wine or water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano or ¼ teaspoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup ditalini or other small pasta
- In a 6-quart or 8-quart slow cooker, add all of the ingredients except the pasta (the first 13 ingredients: meatballs through pepper). Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta; cover and cook on high until pasta is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.