Three words: Shrimp Avocado Pasta! This delicious, creamy avocado cashew sauce dresses up comforting shrimp fettucine in a dish that's easy to make in 30 minutes or less, if you do a little prep ahead of time!
Shrimp pasta is one of my absolute favorite, go-to meals. I make it often for one of my #FastLunch meals while I'm working from home because it's so quick and easy to whip up, and helps fuel me up for busy work days. It's also inexpensive, and versatile; I love experimenting with different flavor combinations of sauces to keep things interesting.
Lately, I've been on an avocado kick. They're so fresh and ripe in stores right now! I actually had four pieces of avocado toast in one sitting the other day... not my proudest moment, but a yummy moment for sure!
I also love cream sauces with shrimp pasta dishes, but since I can no longer have heavy cream (probably for the best!, shouts my love handles) I have been getting creative with different creamy non-dairy sauces. Enter my Shrimp Avocado Pasta.
Cashew cream has become a favorite of mine to use in pasta dishes, as a veggie dip, and even on sandwiches. I try to keep a mason jar in my fridge, but I have found that you can soak cashews for as little as 30 minutes and drain, and the cashews are soft enough to pulse in a food processor for a creamy sauce. Combined with avocados, you get a super rich, creamy, slightly nutty sauce without the added fat and calories of the traditional heavy cream. Trust me: you won't miss it!
While the avocado and cashew adds a delicious creamy texture to this fast shrimp pasta dish, the lemon and dill add brightness.
Sprinkle a little grated parmesan cheese on top (or, shredded dairy-free cheese if you are dairy-free!). I also like to chop up extra avocado and extra chopped dill sprigs to sprinkle on top.
A note on pasta servings: one serving of pasta is typically considered to be two ounces of dry pasta, or one cup of cooked pasta. Honestly, pasta is one of those things I always eyeball. But if you're a stickler for serving sizes, the kitchn has a great guide to follow.
- 2 servings fettuccine 4 ounces uncooked, 2 cups cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 avocados pitted, and peeled
- ½ cup unsalted cashews soaked and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped dill
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: additional small chunks of cut avocado grated parmesan cheese, more salt and pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in a large bowl covered with water for at least 30 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add shrimp and sauté until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Shrimp will be pink and opaque when it's done. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add garlic, avocados, cashews, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill, and dash of salt and pepper to a food processor. Pulse until ingredients are well mixed and the sauce is smooth.
- Drain pasta, reserving 2-3 tablespoons of the water.
- Combine avocado cashew cream sauce, pasta, reserved water, and shrimp in a large bowl and toss gently until the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Optional: top with grated parmesan cheese, small pieces of additional cut avocado, and/or salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
What's your favorite type of pasta dish?