These easy Nutter Butter Ghost Cookies are super easy Halloween cookies that are so much fun to make! It's a great no-bake Halloween dessert to make with the kids, and these little ghost cookies are the perfect Halloween party food.
This post was originally published on September 21, 2020. It was updated September 11, 2022 with new photos, cooking video, and additional helpful tips to make this recipe.
When I came up with this recipe, I was actually lying in bed trying to think of fun, simple Halloween treats I could make with my own kids this year. The shape of Nutter Butter cookies flashed in my mind and I knew they would make cute little Nutter Butter ghosts!
This is one of my personal favorite easy Halloween dessert recipes to make. These cute ghost cookies are the perfect treat!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
I have two teenagers who are not so much into elaborate costumes and arts & crafts anymore. They are, however, always up for celebrating any holiday with special yummy and fun treats! And these easy Nutter Butter ghosts are great to make as a family.
They're also done under 30 minutes and use only 3 simple ingredients. That means less clean up so you can enjoying these fun cookies more quickly!
🎃 Ingredient notes
You just need THREE simple ingredients to make these fun Halloween ghost cookies:
- Nutter Butter cookies - the shape of Nutter Butters are perfect for mimicking ghosts. And starting with store-bought cookies helps save time in the kitchen.
- White chocolate baking bars - melted white chocolate gives the cookies a white outer ghost-y appearance! You can also use white chocolate chips or white candy melts.
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips - these miniature chocolate chips make for ideal candy eyes for you little ghost cookies. You can also use candy eyeballs instead.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
Detailed instructions for these easy ghost cookies recipe are in the full printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here's a visual step-by-step guide with photos to help you make these easy Nutter Butter Halloween Ghost Cookies!
- Start by slicing about ⅓ off the end of each Nutter Butter cookie. See the pic above of the sliced cookies. So it will look like ghosts!
2. Discard the chopped-off cookie pieces by devouring them. No sense wasting good cookies!
Melt white chocolate either on the stovetop over a double boiler. Or, in the microwave. I prefer to melt chocolate for small treats like this in the microwave. Add the white chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and start by microwaving at 30 seconds. Mix together, then continue to melt in 30 second increments and mix until chocolate is fully melted and smooth.
3. Dip each cookie into the melted chocolate. Place the coated cookie onto parchment paper or wax paper to cool. You can also place on a wire rack over a cookie sheet to catch the excess drip of melted white candy coating.
4. Place two mini chocolate chips for eyes, or three mini chocolate chips for eyes and a ghost mouth, on each cookie.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
These Halloween cookies are best eaten within 1 to 2 days. Store them in an airtight container either in the refrigerator or at room temperature. If stored at room temperature, the cookies will start to soften after a couple of days when left at room temperature.
If you want to make the Nutter Butter ghosts ahead of time, you can freeze them. Place them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to one month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
🥣 Kitchen tools and equipment
To make these adorable ghost cookies, you only need a few kitchen tools.
👻 More Halloween recipes and crafts
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Nutter Butter Ghost Cookies
- 15 Nutter Butter cookies
- 8 ounces white chocolate, melted
- mini chocolate chips
- Prepare a large plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice off the bottom ⅓ of each Nutter Butter Cookie.
- Dip each cookie into the melted white chocolate. Set each coated cookie onto parchment paper. Place mini chocolate chips onto each cookie: use two to create eyes, or three to create eyes and a ghost mouth.
- Allow to cool either on your countertop or in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
🎃 Halloween printables
Throwing a Halloween party? Check out our Ultimate Bundle of Halloween printables!
The Halloween printables bundle includes:
- Halloween party invitation design
- Halloween bingo cards + call-out cards
- Lunchbox laughs with Halloween-themed jokes
- Halloween word search
- Halloween favor bag fold-over tags
- Trick-or-treating scavenger hunt
- Halloween candy wrappers