Looking for a frightfully fun Halloween treat? These easy Frankenstein Rice Krispies Treats are easy to make, and fun to eat! You just need a few simple ingredients to whip up a batch of these colorful homemade treats!
Are you ready for an easy Halloween treat recipe for your next Halloween party?
These Frankenstein Rice Krispies Treats are so much fun and easy to make with your kids. The monster treats are a great way to get everyone into the Halloween spirit, and they're perfect to serve at Halloween parties!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
These homemade rice krispie treats are the perfect treats for Halloween season.
- Fun and easy treat to make with your kids
- Done in just 30 minutes from start to finish
- Festive treat that can have a whimsical, spooky twist on regular Rice Krispies treats
- Great for bringing to Halloween parties as class treats or giving as gifts
One of the best things about these Frankenstein treats is that they're a variation on a snack your kids may already love. And chances are your little ones will jump at the chance to make, and enjoy, these homemade treats with you!
Want to make more Halloween rice krispie treats? Try our Pumpkin Rice Krispies Treats recipe!
🎃 Ingredient notes
Gotta love a Halloween treat recipe that has six simple ingredients or less!
- Butter - use unsalted butter. I've even used my favorite dairy-free, vegan butter when making these and they turned out great!
- Mini marshmallows - mini marshmallows melt faster than the large puffy marshmallows.
- Green food coloring - you can use green food coloring drops. However, I prefer to use green icing coloring added to the marshmallows because it doesn't add liquid to the existing dish.
- Rice Krispies - for the best flavor, use the Kellogg's Rice Krispies brand versus a generic store brand rice cereal.
- Candy eyeballs - Use candy eyes to decorate your cereal treats. To be honest, I always keep some candy eyeballs on hand in the pantry for fun baked goods.
- Black writing icing - Look for the thin black icing instead of the thicker tubes of frosting. You can also use black candy melts and a piping bag to decorate.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
A full list of ingredients and detailed instructions to make this easy treat are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here's a visual step-by-step guide with photos to help you make cute Frankenstein rice krispie treats!
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Once the unsalted butter has just melted, add the mini marshmallows. Stir marshmallows and melted butter together quickly.
3. Add the green food coloring.
4. Then quickly mix together with the buttered marshmallows until the green color is evenly distributed.
5. Pour in the rice krispies cereal.
6. Immediately stir everything together to coat the rice krispies with the green marshmallow mixture. Remove from heat.
7. Immediately pour or scoop the green rice krispies into the prepared baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, until cool.
8. Use a large knife or a sharp pastry cutter to slice out 12 even squares.
9. Decorate each square with a pair of candy eyeballs and black writing icing. Get creative here!
10. Make a variety of expressions by drawing different mouth shapes. Create different hair for each Frankenstein treat.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
It's best to eat these treats within 2 days. However, I've found they can sometimes keep for up 3 to 4 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Make sure the lid is on securely to lock in freshness.
Try putting the stale rice krispie treats into a plastic resealable bag along with a slice of bread. Let it rest overnight on your kitchen counter. The moisture from the bread should help revive the softness of the rice krispies. This is an old kitchen trick that works with other snacks as well - not just rice krispies! However, this will only work for a couple of rice krispie treats at a time in the bag. And, it won't work if the rice krispie treats are too old.
According to the Kellogg's Rice Krispies page, they can be! "To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving."
🔪 Kitchen tools
To make this fun treats, you just need a few basic kitchen tools.
- Large pot - you'll need a large pot to melt the butter and marshmallows, then fold in the rice krispies.
- Heatproof silicone spatula - to use for mixing all of the ingredients together in the large pot.
- 9 x 13-inch baking dish - I use a freezer-to-oven safe glass baking dish.
- Parchment paper - you could grease the pan with butter, but I find that using a piece of parchment paper makes it so much easier to lift the festive treats out of the dish and cut into squares.
🍽 How to serve these Halloween treats
These Frankenstein Rice Krispies really stand out best against all-black plates or all-white plates. Place them all together on one big serving plate, or put half one one plate and half on another and set them at different corners of the table.
To make a fun and festive Halloween treat table, consider what you already have before buying anything new. I like to layer the treat displays using a variety of cake pedestals of different heights.
Some ideas for items you might already have on hand:
- orange, black, or white plates that can stack on top of one another to show both colors of plates
- orange, black, white, purple, or green tablecloths, placemats, and napkins
- small pumpkin decorations
- have black construction paper? Cut out bat shapes and sprinkle around the table.
- make fun Halloween decorations using googly eyes.
👻 More Halloween recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1 package (10 ounces) mini marshmallows equals about 6 cups
- 4 to 6 drops green food coloring*
- 32-40 candy eyeballs
- 1 tube (4.25 ounce) black writing icing
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Once the butter has just melted, add the mini marshmallows. Stir marshmallows and melted butter together quickly.
- Add the green food coloring. Start with just one to two drops of green food coloring or a couple of small toothpick swipes of green icing coloring. Then add just enough until to get your desired color of green; this amount will be different for everyone. Then quickly mix together with the buttered marshmallows until the green color is evenly distributed.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour in the rice krispies. Working quickly, stir everything together to coat the rice krispies with the green marshmallow mixture.
- Immediately pour or scoop the green rice krispies into the prepared baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, until cool.
- Use a large knife or a sharp pastry cutter to slice out 16 to 20 even squares, depending on how large or small you want each treat to be. Decorate each square with a pair of candy eyeballs and black writing icing. Get creative here! Make a variety of expressions by drawing different mouth shapes. Create different hair for each Frankenstein treat.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
🎃 Halloween printables
Throwing a Halloween party? Check out our Ultimate Bundle of Halloween printables!
The Halloween printables bundle includes:
- Halloween party invitation design
- Halloween bingo cards + call-out cards
- Lunchbox laughs with Halloween-themed jokes
- Halloween word search
- Halloween favor bag fold-over tags
- Trick-or-treating scavenger hunt
- Halloween candy wrappers