This White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha recipe is a delicious Starbucks copycat recipe that's easy to make at home! It's a warm, comforting hot coffee drink for chilly days and for the holiday season.
My all-time favorite Starbucks drink any time of year is a White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha. It's so rich and decadent, warm and comforting. With bright peppermint flavors, it's the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit.
But, I don't love paying $7 for it every time I order it.
After some testing, I've come up with this copycat Starbucks recipe that is - dare I say? - even better than the Starbucks version!
🌟 Why you'll love this Starbucks copycat recipe
This homemade mocha recipe is for all of the mocha lovers out there!
- Easy - The steps are super simple, and I've included photos of the step-by-step process below to help you out.
- Simple - You only need 5 simple ingredients that you can find in any grocery store.
- Fun - You can customize the mix-ins and toppings! So many options!
- Delicious - This white chocolate peppermint mocha is rich, decadent, and such a warm treat on chilly days.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Here's what you need to make this peppermint white chocolate mocha:
- Coffee or espresso - Use hot brewed strong coffee or two shots of espresso.
- Steamed milk - Use your favorite milk of choice - including non-dairy milk! I use almond milk. If you have a steamer on your espresso machine, you can steam milk that way. Or, you can heat up milk on the stovetop or in a mug in the microwave.
- White chocolate - You only need a little bit of white chocolate. It goes a lot way!
- Heavy cream - A little bit of cream adds richness to the white chocolate flavor.
- Peppermint extract - Use pure peppermint extract for the best peppermint flavor.
Then you can add any other mix-ins or toppings!
- Whipped cream
- Crushed peppermint candies or peppermint candy canes
- Mini marshmallows
- Mini chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Peppermint syrup
✅ Step-by-step instructions
This truly is an easy white chocolate mocha recipe to make! The full list of ingredients and detailed instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here are some step-by-step photos to show you how to make this favorite coffee shop beverage.
- Heat heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the white chocolate.
- As the white chocolate melts, whisk to combine with the cream.
3. Add the peppermint extract to the saucepan, and stir.
4. Pour the white chocolate mixture into a large mug.
5. Pour in the brewed strong coffee or the brewed espresso shots.
6. Pour in the steamed milk.
7. Top with your choice of drink toppings, including whipped cream, crushed peppermint candies, and serve with a straw.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Use your favorite strong coffee or espresso. If using coffee instead of espresso shots, you'll want to choose a darker roast coffee versus a lighter roast coffee.
Yes! I've made a dairy-free chocolate peppermint mocha with success! Simply substitute almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, or coconut milk for regular dairy milk. Then substitute your favorite dairy-free heavy cream, dairy-free white chocolate, and non-dairy whipped topping for a delicious dairy-free mocha.
Espresso drinks like this white chocolate peppermint mocha are best served hot as soon as they are made. However, if you're not going to finish it all right away, it's best to leave the toppings off. Then store the mocha in an airtight container like a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Reheat in the microwave, then top with your favorite mocha toppings.
🍽 Serving ideas
This decadent white chocolate peppermint mocha is the ultimate winter treat!
Here are some serving ideas if you want to mix it up a bit:
- Use milk chocolate or dark chocolate instead of white chocolate.
- Make a white chocolate vanilla mocha by substituting vanilla extract for peppermint extract.
- Bump up the peppermint flavor by adding peppermint syrup in addition to the peppermint extract.
- Use a higher milk to coffee ratio for a white mocha latte.
To warm up a chilly day, serve it with:
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Saucepan - You'll need a medium saucepan to make the white chocolate mix.
- Whisk - Use a whisk to blend the melted white chocolate and heavy cream together smoothly.
- Steamer - You'll need a steam function and steamer mug on your espresso machine. Or you will need a large mug to steam the milk.
- Mug - Use a large mug to serve this delectable mocha.
White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 ounce white chocolate
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¾ cup brewed coffee
- 1¼ cup steamed milk
- whipping cream, crushed peppermint candies, chocolate shavings for garnish
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the heavy cream.
- Once the cream is heated up, add the white chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is just melted, then remove the pan from heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
- Pour the white chocolate peppermint cream into a large mug.
- Pour in the coffee.
- Pour in the steamed milk.
- Top with whipped cream, crushed peppermint candies, and chocolate shavings, as desired.
- Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.