This Chocolate Peppermint Pie recipe is an easy Christmas dessert everyone will love! With a crunchy cookie crust and rich and creamy chocolate pie filling with bright peppermint flavor, this easy pie recipe is sure to become a holiday favorite.
One of the best things about the holiday season: holiday dessert!
It's no surprise that we love holiday baking at our house. Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Shortbread Cookies, White Chocolate Peppermint Holiday Bark, and Gingerbread Loaves with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting are all longtime family faves.
Do you notice a common flavor combination? Chocolate and peppermint desserts contain the perfect flavor combo for the holidays!
And this Chocolate Peppermint Pie is one of the best holiday pies you can make. No exaggeration - I personally love, love, L-O-V-E this holiday pie so very much!
It's a big hit with my whole family, and I hope it will be with yours, too!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Chocolate lovers and peppermint lovers, this pie recipe is for you!
- Easy - The steps are easy to follow, even for beginning bakers. I've included step-by-step photos below to help you out.
- Simple - The recipe calls for simple ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
- Flavorful - This is a truly delicious pie with the perfect amount of peppermint balancing a rich chocolate cream pie base. The crunchy cookie crust and crushed peppermint candies take the pie to the next level!
- Make ahead - You can make this pie ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days before serving. It's good for a few days after that, but it's best to serve within 1-2 days.
🍫 Ingredient notes
You only need seven (7) ingredients to make this chocolate peppermint pie!
- Oreos - Use Oreo cookies for a simple yet tasty pie crust.
- Butter - You'll need to melt unsalted butter to combine with the crushed Oreo cookies for the crust.
- Chocolate chips - Use semi-sweet chocolate for the best flavor.
- Heavy whipping cream - The lusciousness of this pie comes in part from the fact that you will use heavy cream in it twice: to melt and create the chocolate filling base, and then to whip up and fold into that chocolate base to create a rich, fluffy chocolate pie.
- Vanilla - Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Peppermint - You can find peppermint extract at most grocery stores, especially around the holidays. Or you can find it in craft stores and online.
- Peppermint candy - Crush up peppermint candies or crushed candy canes to small pieces for the garnish.
Optional: I also added shaved chocolate to garnish the chocolate peppermint cream pie in these photos. Totally optional, but the extra chocolate never hurts!
✅ Step-by-step instructions
This is one of the easiest holiday pies you can make! You can find the full list of ingredients and detailed instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here are step-by-step photos for all of my fellow visual learners out there!
First, preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan with butter and/or line with parchment paper.
Crush the Oreo cookies into find crumbs. You can do this either by placing cookies in a food processor, or place in a large ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a large bowl, add the crushed Oreo cookies and melted butter.
- Mix the crushed cookies with the melted butter.
- Press into the prepared pie pan and bake pie at 350°F for 8-9 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before filling.
Make the filling
4. In a large bowl, place the chocolate chips and ½ cup of the heavy cream.
5. Microwave in 30 second increments just until melted
6. Whisk the heated cream and chocolate chips in-between intervals until smooth. Set aside to cool.
7. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on medium-high speed, whisk the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
8. Add the vanilla and peppermint to the electric mixer and whisk just for about 10-15 seconds to combine.
9. Using a silicone spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until combined.
10. Pour chocolate filling into the cooled pie crust.
11. Chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours, up to overnight.
Garnish with crushed peppermint candies, if desired. Slice and serve.
👩🏻🍳 Baking tips, substitutions, and recipe FAQs
Baking tips, substitutions, and ideas:
- Make it dairy-free: I use dairy-free heavy cream and dairy-free chocolate chips to create a dairy-free chocolate peppermint pie. It is just as delicious without the dairy!
- Chocolate options: You can also use milk chocolate or a combination of semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate if you want layered flavor.
- Garnish options: Instead of crushed peppermint candies and chocolate shavings, you can use mini candy canes, chocolate chips, whipped cream, mint chocolate chips, or even mini marshmallows.
Cover pie with plastic wrap, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
🍽 Serving ideas
This peppermint chocolate pie is an absolutely delicious dessert you can top with whipped cream, whipped topping, and/or a scoop of ice cream. Enjoy with a glass of milk or a peppermint martini for those 21+.
If you're serving it as part of a holiday dinner, consider these holiday recipes to serve before the pie:
- Spatchcock Turkey
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb
- Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Rosemary Glazed Carrots
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
If you are serving it as part of a holiday dessert table, try these delicious holiday dessert recipes to go with it:
🍷 🥂 Wine pairings
You may have heard that you should pair a sweet wine with sweet desserts. While that is true in many cases, it is not true in all.
Take this pie, for example. With rich chocolate and bright peppermint flavors, a sweet wine would send your palette reeling and offer an unpleasant contrast to the mint.
Instead, pair this chocolatey minty pie with a rich red wine such as a Syrah or a Zinfandel. Both of these full-bodied red wines can stand up to the bold flavors of the pie.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Stand mixer - Use a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Or, you can use a large mixing bowl with hand mixer or whisk.
- Large bowl - You'll need a large microwaveable mixing bowl.
- Whisk - I love this balloon whisk for all baking needs!
- Pie dish - I use a Staub 9-inch pie plate for this recipe.
Chocolate Peppermint Pie
For the crust
- 24 Oreo cookies, crushed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the crushed Oreo cookies and melted butter until well combined.
- Using the palm of your hands press the Oreo butter mixture into the bottom of the pie plate, and press some of the Oreo crust up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake at 350°F for 8-9 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before filling.
Make the filling
- In a large bowl, place the chocolate chips and ½ cup of the heavy cream. Microwave in 30 second increments just until melted, whisking in-between until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on medium-high speed, whisk the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add the vanilla and peppermint and whisk just for about 10-15 seconds to combine.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust. Chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours, up to overnight.
- Garnish with crushed peppermint candies, if desired. Slice and serve.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.