These Whipped Sweet Potatoes are so flavorful and delicious! They're the perfect holiday side dish for your Thanksgiving table. Yet this simple side dish is also easy enough to make for your dinner table on any busy weeknight.
As the winter months and holiday season approach, it's definitely comfort food season. We love cooking up comforting main dishes like pork chops, turkey chili, and pot roast. And of course we love turkey at Thanksgiving.
If you're looking for the perfect side dish to go with your Thanksgiving turkey, you've gotta try this Whipped Sweet Potatoes recipe!
With a creamy texture and big savory flavor, these easy mashed sweet potatoes are sure to be a hit with the crowd during any holiday gathering.
🌟 Why this recipe works
This is my favorite sweet potatoes recipe, for so many reasons. As much as I love sweet potato fries, I feel like the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes really shines in this dish.
I hope you'll love this mashed sweet potato recipe as much as we do!
- Easy - This recipe is easy to follow with just a few simple steps and basic ingredients.
- Fast - Chopping the sweet potatoes into smaller pieces helps this dish come together quickly. You can have this delectable side dish on your dinner table in under 30 minutes!
- Flavorful - The simplicity of this recipe allows the sweet potato flavors to really shine. If you love sweet potatoes, this is a great recipe for you!
- Versatile - It's easy to customize these whipped sweet potatoes with your favorite mix-ins. Fresh herbs, sour cream, spices can all change the flavor and texture of this dish to your liking.
🛒 Ingredient notes
These creamy mashed sweet potatoes are made with simple ingredients you can easily find in any grocery store.
- Sweet potatoes - You'll need about 3 pounds of sweet potatoes. I found that this is about 3 to 4 large sweet potatoes. Peel and cut them into small 1-inch cubes. This helps them cook faster and cook evenly.
- Butter - Cut the unsalted butter into small cubes. This helps them melt and incorporate better when whipping the sweet potatoes.
- Vegetable broth - Use vegetable broth to keep this sweet potato recipe vegetarian. You can substitute chicken broth if you don't need it to be vegetarian.
- Sour cream - A little bit of sour cream adds a slight tangy flavor and lots of creaminess to these sweet potatoes. You can substitute Greek yogurt if you prefer.
- Garlic - Feel free to add more or less minced garlic, depending on your taste preference.
- Fresh herbs - Finely chopped green onions and chopped fresh parsley adds nice bright herbal flavors.
- Salt & pepper - Use kosher salt and freshly cracked ground black pepper to season the potatoes to taste.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
You'll find full ingredients and detailed cooking instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here are photos of the step-by-step process to help you make the best mashed sweet potatoes.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water over medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil then lower to medium heat and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Cook the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain out the water.
3. Immediately return the sweet potatoes to the pot and add the butter, broth, sour cream, garlic, and then half of the parsley and green onions. Using a potato masher, mash down the sweet potatoes and mix in the other ingredients.
Serve garnished with remaining green onions and parsley, as well as sliced butter.
👩🏻🍳 Cooking tips and recipe FAQs
- Make sure you chop the sweet potatoes up into equally sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Start to mash the potatoes with the herbs and other ingredients right after you drain out the water. It needs to be hot to melt the butter and sour cream while mashing so that the ingredients incorporate smoothly together.
- After mashing the sweet potatoes, if you find that the potatoes are too chunky for your liking, you can use an electric hand mixer or immersion blender to smooth out the potatoes.
Substitutions and additional optional ingredients:
- You can use this same recipe with regular potatoes to make regular mashed potatoes.
- Substitute greek yogurt for sour cream.
- You can add some half and half or heavy cream to add more creaminess to the potatoes.
- Other herbs you can use: fresh thyme, tarragon, oregano.
- Sprinkle in a little pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, or cinnamon.
Yes, just be sure to thaw them first before cooking.
Store leftover sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Yes! Freeze in a freezer safe airtight container for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating and serving.
🍽 Serving ideas
These whipped sweet potatoes are absolutely delicious on any dinner table, but especially on your Thanksgiving table! Here are some menu ideas for both a special holiday meal and an everyday dinner.
- Turkey Charcuterie Board
- Spatchcock Turkey
- Air Fryer Turkey Tenderloin
- Garlic Parmesan Knots
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
For an everyday dinner:
🍷 🥂 Wine pairings
Mashed sweet potatoes, with their naturally sweet and creamy texture, pair wonderfully with a variety of wines.
For a classic and delightful combination, a medium to full-bodied Chardonnay is an excellent choice. Its buttery notes complement the sweetness of the potatoes while adding a touch of acidity to balance the richness.
If you prefer a red wine, a Pinot Noir offers a lighter option. With red berry and earthy undertones, Pinot Noir balances the sweet potatoes' caramelized flavors.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Cutting board and knife - You will need a large cutting board and sharp knife to chop the large sweet potatoes into small, evenly-sized cubes. Also to chop the garlic and herbs.
- Large pot - You'll need a large pot to cook the sweet potatoes in.
- Potato masher - Use a standard potato masher to mash the cooked sweet potatoes
🍂 Free Thanksgiving Planner Printable
Want a printable Thanksgiving timeline, turkey thawing chart, and more Thanksgiving recipes? Click on the image below to download the free Thanksgiving Planner printable.
More fall recipes
Be sure to check out our full collection of fall recipes. Here are a few favorites to try next!
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large saucepan or Dutch oven
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower to medium and allow to simmer for about 10-12 minutes. Cook just until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the water and either return the sweet potatoes to the pot or place the sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Mash sweet potatoes.
- Add garlic, sour cream, unsalted butter, broth, and continue to mash until smooth.
- Add half of the green onions and half of the chopped parsley. Stir together.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Garnish with remaining green onions and parsley.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.