If you're looking for a fun holiday baking project, make these cute and easy snowman cupcakes!
As the holiday season approaches, it's the time of year to cozy up with some delightful, snow-kissed treats. Treats that are not only a feast for your taste buds but also a feast for your eyes. Enter Snowman Cupcakes!
And they're perfect holiday treat for any winter gathering. From Christmas parties to cozy nights by the fire, these super cute snowman cupcakes are a big hit with all ages.
In this post, I'll show you how to whip up these cuties and spread a little frosty cheer!
- ❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- 🛒 Ingredient notes
- For the cupcakes:
- For the frosting:
- Ingredients for the decorations:
- Alternative ideas
- ✅ Step-by-step instructions
- Make the vanilla buttercream frosting
- Decorating snowman cupcakes
- 👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
- 🍽 Serving ideas
- 🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
- More holiday recipes
- Snowman Cupcakes
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
These adorable snowman cupcakes are sure to become the talk of your next holiday party!
- Super cute - I mean, come on: who can resist these adorable snowmen cupcakes?
- Family fun - This easy recipe is so much fun to make with the whole family! Even the youngest kids can help decorate the snowmen marshmallows or add sprinkles to the buttercream frosting.
- Simple ingredients - You don't need any fancy ingredients or specialty equipment to make these cute cupcakes.
- Delicious - With a classic vanilla cupcake batter and vanilla buttercream frosting, these holiday cupcakes are a joy to eat as they are to look at!
🛒 Ingredient notes
For the cupcakes:
- Flour - Use all-purpose flour. I have not tried this recipe with other flours, but if you do, please do leave a comment below and let us know how they turned out!
- Cornstarch - I love adding cornstarch to cupcakes and cakes because it helps keep them moist and soft.
- Baking powder - We use baking powder as our leavening agent.
- Salt - Use kosher salt to balance the sweetness of the cupcakes.
- Butter - Make sure your butter is softened at room temperature before using. Simply take the butter out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you start gathering the other ingredients.
- Sugar - Use granulated sugar.
- Eggs - Take the eggs out of the fridge at the same time you take out the butter. They should be at room temperature when you mix them in.
- Milk - Use any milk here - whole, 2%, 1%, or even almond milk.
- Vanilla - Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
For the frosting:
- Butter - Make sure your unsalted butter is at room temperature.
- Powdered sugar - You can sift the powdered sugar before using if you want to ensure a smooth frosting.
- Heavy cream - You can substitute half and half if you don't have heavy cream. I have also used dairy-free heavy cream with success.
- Vanilla - Use pure vanilla extract.
- Salt - Use kosher salt.
Ingredients for the decorations:
- Marshmallows - You'll need two large marshmallows to create each snowman body.
- Chocolate chips- Use mini chocolate chips to create the snowman's eyes and mouth of the snowmen.
- Orange sprinkles - I use orange sprinkles to create the snowman nose. But you can also use snipped off Starburst or mini orange jelly beans.
- Pretzel sticks - Snap pretzel sticks in half to create the snowman arms.
- M & M candies - Use regular or mini M & Ms in red and green to create the "buttons" on the snowman midsection.
- White sanding sugar - White shimmer sugar is thicker and larger than regular colored sugars and helps create a snowy winter wonderland appearance to the tops of each cupcake.
- White snowflake sprinkles - You can find these at any craft or bakery store. But you can be creative and use any larger cupcake decorations you want as the border decoration! Or, you can simply leave these out.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
The full list of ingredients and detailed instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here are some step-by-step photos to help you make this snowman cupcakes recipe.
First, preheat your oven to 375°F. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 16, so you'll only need 4 cupcake liners in the second muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients for the cupcakes.
- In a separate large bowl and using a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter.
- Add the sugar and beat with the butter.
4. Beat in the eggs.
5. Beat in the vanilla.
6. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk.
7. Alternating adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the wet ingredients helps avoid excessive splashing and creates an even, smooth batter.
8. Use a cookie scoop to scoop out batter.
9. Fill each prepared lined muffin cup with batter, up to ¾ of the way full. Do not overfill!
10. Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 18-22 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Allow to cool at room temperature before decorating.
Make the vanilla buttercream frosting
While the cupcakes are baking, you can make the frosting!
- Beat the room temperature butter until creamy. Then beat in the vanilla, salt, and heavy cream.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Beat smooth until the frosting is a nice thick yet still spreadable consistency. Add more heavy cream to thin out the frosting or more powdered sugar to thicken the frosting, as needed.
Decorating snowman cupcakes
After making the frosting, you can make the cute little snowmen!
- Create the marshmallow head - make the eyes, nose, and mouth using mini chocolate chips and orange sprinkles. You can dab a little buttercream to the bottom of the chocolate chips and sprinkles to help them stick to the marshmallow.
- Dab a little buttercream to the bottom of M & Ms then stick onto a second separate marshmallow.
- Stick a toothpick through the bottom marshmallow and up into the bottom of the first marshmallow.
4. Secure the marshmallows onto the toothpick so that you don't see the toothpick except for a bit sticking out of the bottom. Set aside, and repeat the process until you have 16 total snowman figures.
5. Set the baked and cooled cupcakes onto a flat surgace.
6. Frost cupcakes with the buttercream frosting.
7. Sprinkle white sanding sugar over the tops of the frosted cupcakes.
8. If desired, add border decorations, like the larger snowflake sprinkles.
9. Stick half pretzels into the sides of the snowmen and then stick the toothpicks through the center of the cupcakes. Repeat with remaining cupcakes and snowmen.
Voilà! You've just crafted a fleet of the cutest snowman cupcakes that are almost too adorable to eat. Almost.
These delicious cupcakes are the life of the dessert party. Your guests will be absolutely smitten with your creative confections!
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Both room temperature butter and room temperature eggs will mix more smoothly into the batter, creating an even batter that results in fluffy cupcakes.
If you don't plan to serve these for a few days, it's best to store the cupcakes unfrosted and the frosting separately. Store unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or at room temperature for up to 3 days. Store the frosting in a ziplock bag or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
🍽 Serving ideas
These snowman cupcakes are absolutely adorable on their own. But if you're creating a holiday dessert table for your next Christmas party, consider making these desserts to go with them:
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Muffin tin - You will need two muffin tins (cupcake pans)
- Cupcake liners - Use cute cupcake liners
- Large bowl & whisk - You'll need a large mixing bowl and a sturdy whisk.
- Stand mixer - A stand mixer makes quick work of mixing the batter. But you can also use a large bowl and a hand mixer.
- Scoop - a large cookie scoop makes it easy to scoop the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners.
- Icing bag - You can use a piping pag / pastry bag to make frosting easier, and to dab the decorations with just a little bit of frosting.
- 2 12-cup Muffin Pans
For the cupcakes
For the vanilla buttercream frosting
For the decorations
- white sanding sugar
- mini chocolate chips
- orange sprinkles
- red and green M & M candies
- pretzel sticks
- Preheat oven the 375°F degrees. Line 16 openings of 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
Make the cupcakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the sugar until well combined and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs until combined, then add the vanilla.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in the stand mixer, until fully combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop batter into the prepared cupcake liners, just about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 18-22 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted to the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
Make the vanilla buttercream frosting
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter until soft and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla, salt, and heavy cream.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar in 1-cup increments, until the frosting is thickened yet still soft enough to decorate with.
Frost the cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost the tops of the cupcakes lightly with a thin layer of vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Then gently roll the frosted tops of the cupcakes into a shallow bowl of white sanding sugar.
Make the snowmen
- Take two marshmallows. Make the eyes & mouth: On the first, take five mini chocolate chips, gently add a bit of frosting to the flat bottoms of each, and stick onto one marshmallow to create the eyes and the mouth. Make the nose: Next, swipe a tiny bit of frosting onto one side of one orange sprinkle and place on the marshmallow to create the nose. Add the arms and buttons: To the second marshmallow, snap one pretzel stick in half and then stick one half into each side of the marshmallow. Then swipe a small amount of frosting onto one side of a green M & M candy and also to one side of a red M & M candy. Place the candies onto the marshmallow to create the buttons. Assemble the snowman: Stick a toothpick through the center of the bottom of the second marshmallow, then carefully stick the first marshmallow on top, to create the snowman. Carefully place on top of the center of the cupcakes, gently pushing the marshmallow snowman on the toothpick down so there is enough toothpick inserted into the cupcake to keep the snowman stable above. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.