These bright, festive, adorable Grinch hot chocolate bombs are the perfect holiday treat! Dip one in a mug of hot cocoa for a Christmas surprise. Great for holiday gift-giving!
As the holiday season approaches, the air grows colder, and twinkling lights and joyful music fill the air. Now's the perfect time to add a touch of enchantment to your Christmas celebrations.
One delightful and festive treat that has taken the Christmas season by storm is the Grinch Hot Chocolate Bomb. These whimsical creations not only capture the spirit of the beloved Dr. Seuss character, the Grinch. They also bring a dose of warmth and coziness to your winter gatherings.
Whether you're hosting a festive gathering or looking for a heartwarming gift, these charming treats are sure to steal the show.
These Grinch Hot Chocolate Bombs are modeled after the Grinch's heart, which grew three sizes in the story. With a bright Grinchy green chocolate outer shell and red candy heart, there's a sweet hot cocoa powder and mini marshmallows surprise inside.
And if you have a half sphere mold, these fun and festive holiday treats are easy to make at home! They're the perfect Christmas snack or dessert for holiday parties and gatherings. They also make great gifts!
🌟 Why this recipe works
The bright and festive colors of these Grinch hot chocolate bombs are simply irresistible. They will look amazing on any holiday dessert table. And they're sure to put a smile on any gift recipient's face.
Simply pop one of these Christmas hot chocolate bombs into the bottom of a mug of warm milk or hot water and watch the surprise unfold. So much fun!
🛒 Ingredient notes
You only need four simple ingredients to make these
- Candy melts - You'll need bright green candy melts, which you can find at most craft stores year round. Around Christmas time, you may be able to find these at your local grocery store in the baking aisle.
- Hot cocoa mix - Use your favorite hot chocolate mix.
- Marshmallows - I find that mini marshmallows are best to use in these Christmas treats.
- Red heart sprinkles - You can also find these cute sprinkles in craft stores and bake shops. But your local grocery store may have them in the baking aisle during the holidays.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
A full list of ingredients and detailed instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. Here are some step-by-step photos to help you make these sweet Christmas treats!
- Melt the bright green chocolate melts in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Using the back of a spoon, fill each cavity of the hot chocolate mold until covered. Allow to set. Follow up with another layer of melted chocolate around the top edge of each cavity where the two spheres are going to join. Remove the sphere halves from the molds very gently.
- Heat a medium skillet over low heat, and gently melt the ridge of one sphere.
4. Set chocolate halves on a wire rack to prepare to fill.
5. Fill with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. Then take another shell half and place in the frying pan to melt down the edges.
6. Immediately place this shell on top of the filled half in order to create the seal and join the two halves to make the complete sphere. Gently press along the sides to clean up the seal and remove any excess.
7. Set to the side as you finish the remaining bombs.
8. Get ready to decorate! Place the remaining melted chocolate into piping bags and drizzle over the easy hot chocolate bombs. Finish with a red heart sprinkle (or several!) to decorate.
When ready to consume, place the bomb in a mug. Heat up a mug of hot milk or water. Slowly pour over the bomb and stir thoroughly. Allow to cool before consuming, if needed. Enjoy!
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white hot chocolate mix.
You can add mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, crushed candy canes, crushed peppermint candies, crushed cookies, red or green sanding sugar. Try using white candy melts or red candy melts to pipe decoration on the outside for contrasting color. You can also add a pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg to add warm holiday spices to the hot cocoa.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 months.
🍽 Serving ideas
These Grinch cocoa bombs are gorgeous set out on any holiday table. Place empty mugs and chocolate stirrers next to them.
If you're making a holiday dessert table, consider making of these yummy Christmas desserts:
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Chocolate molds - You'll need a half sphere-shaped silicone mold. You can find these online, or at your local craft store.
- Piping bags - Use pastry bags to pipe the green decorations.
- Skillet - You'll need a skillet or pan to melt the green sphere edges to help seal them together.
More Christmas recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Grinch Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 sphere mold
- 10 ounces (1 bag) green candy melts
- 2 cups hot chocolate mix
- 1 - 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- Red heart sprinkles for decoration
TO MAKE THE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMB:
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until smooth, whisking in between microwave times.
- Using the back of a spoon, fill each cavity of the hot chocolate mold with the melted chocolate until covered. Allow to set completely.
- Using the back of a spoon, add another layer of melted chocolate around the top edge of each cavity where the two spheres are going to join. Allow to set.
- Gently remove the sphere halves from the molds.
- Heat a medium skillet over low heat. Once warm, gently place a chocolate sphere open ridge side down onto the pan just long enough to melt the ridge.
- Immediately fill with hot cocoa and marshmallows.
- Then take another shell half and place in the skillet to melt down the edges. Immediately place this shell on top of the filled half in order to create the seal and join the two halves to make the complete sphere. Gently press along the sides to clean up the seal and remove any excess.
- Set to the side as you repeat the process and finish the remaining hot cocoa bombs.
- Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over the hot chocolate bombs. Then top each with a few sprinkles.
- When ready to enjoy, place the hot cocoa bomb in a mug. Heat up 8-12 oz of milk or water. Slowly pour the milk or water over the Christmas hot chocolate bomb and stir thoroughly. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.