Sun-Dried Tomato Butter is easy to make and has so many uses in the kitchen! Use it as a spread or to add flavor to vegetables, meats, seafood and more.
Sun-dried tomatoes are such rich, flavorful vegetables to add to any meal.
If you love the savory tomato flavor with fresh herbs, you'll love making this easy recipe for Sun Dried Tomato Butter. It's a delicious compound butter to keep on hand in the refrigerator or freezer to a great addition to almost any dish!
🌟 Why you'll love making sun dried tomato butter
Compound butter is a term that simply refers to softened butter mixed with a variety of herbs, spices, and seasonings.
If you cook from home at all, compound butters are an easy and efficient way to add flavor and to elevate a variety of dishes.
- Easy - it's super duper easy to make your own homemade compound butter. I've got step-by-step photos below to help make it even easier.
- Simple ingredients - you can essentially make compound butter from any herbs, spices, and seasonings you have on hand. This sun-dried tomato compound butter is made with ingredients you can find at any grocery store.
- Fast - it takes just 10 minutes max to make a stick of compound butter.
- Versatile - I've listed some of the many different ways you can use this herb butter down below.
- Freezer-friendly - This is an awesome addition to make on Meal Prep Day. You can stick it in the refrigerator for up to five days if you know you'll be using it soon. Or you can keep it in the freezer for up to a six months. See tips for freezing butter below.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Butter - Use a stick of unsalted butter. Make sure it's softened to room temperature. It needs to be soft enough to mash with the herbs and seasonings.
Sun-dried tomatoes - You'll want to finely chop sun dried tomatoes into small pieces that mix well with the butter and herbs. You don't want any large pieces that would make it difficult to slice the butter.
Fresh herbs - Chopped fresh parsley, rosemary, and basil add bright flavors to this butter.
Seasonings - A little bit of kosher salt and ground black pepper balance out the flavors. You can use sea salt instead of kosher salt if you prefer.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
I've got full instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here's a quick visual step-by-step guide with photos to help make this easy recipe even easier!
- In a medium bowl or small bowl using a fork, mash down the softened butter.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mash together with the fork until well combined.
- Form the butter mixture into a log shape.
- Wrap the homemade butter log with parchment paper.
- Label the parchment paper.
You can use it right away, or refrigerate or freeze for later.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
If you're going to be using the butter soon, you can wrap it in parchment paper and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Otherwise, wrap in parchment paper, plastic wrap, or wax paper, place into a freezer bag, label, and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
🍽 Serving ideas
There are so many different ways to use this sun dried tomato butter!
- Use as a delicious spread on bread or crackers. Try it on this rich Guinness Brown Bread or this Focaccia Bread.
- It's a gorgeous addition to a Grazing Table, Thanksgiving Charcuterie Board, Christmas Charcuterie Board, or Brunch Board.
- It's a great addition to white fish like sea bass, cod, and halibut.
- The sun-dried tomato flavors are fantastic on chicken. Try it on Air Fryer Whole Chicken or Gilled Chicken.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Bowl - A mixing bowl will do, but you can also grab any medium sized bowl or small bowl from your cupboard to make this!
- Fork - Use a fork or a potato masher to mash down the softened butter and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Parchment paper - Use parchment paper to wrap around the butter and help it keep its shape. I personally prefer parchment paper to wax paper or plastic wrap, but you could use either of those as well.
More make-ahead flavor base recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Sun Dried Tomato Butter
- In a medium bowl using a fork, mash down the softened butter. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mash together with the fork until well combined.
- Form the butter mixture into a log and wrap with parchment paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.