If you're looking for a tasty, flavorful, indulgent appetizer, try these Air Fryer Pork Belly Bites. They're easy to make and you can whip these up in less than 30 minutes!
One of my favorite Filipino snacks/appetizers is lechon kawali. This is deep-fried pork belly that's soooo delicious. With crispy pork skin and tender, tender meat, lechon kawali is definitely a mouthwatering Filipino dish that brings up happy childhood memories for me.
Now with air fryers, you can get the same kind of crispy pork belly bites... But without all of the mess and the added fat that comes with deep frying!
These Air Fryer Pork Belly Bites are my easier, faster, still tasty ode to that childhood fave Filipino food of mine. I hope you love it, too!
🌟 Why you'll love this recipe
Pork belly is the meat that comes from the under belly of the pig. Because the meat from part of the pig offers the fattiest meat, it's used to make bacon and also a popular cut used in many different Asian cuisines.
If you like bacon, you will LOVE these crispy air fryer pork belly bites!
- Simple ingredients - This recipe requires just six simple ingredients you can find in your local grocery store.
- Easy recipe - This is an easy recipe to follow, even for beginning cooks!
- Fast - Thanks to the air fryer, you can make this delicious dish in less than 30 minutes
- Less mess - Air frying is also healthier and less messy than traditional deep frying.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Pork belly - Most grocery stores sell pork belly either in large 1-2 pound slabs of meat or in pork belly strips. For this recipe, I use pork belly slices, then chop those into smaller 1-inch bite size pieces. If you get a pork belly slab, you can choose to either leave the skin on or take it off before cutting it into smaller pieces of pork belly.
Seasonings - For the simple seasoning, you will need garlic powder, kosher salt, ground black pepper, brown sugar, and vegetable oil.
That's it! Only six ingredients create tons of flavor, and you're on your way to super flavorful pork belly bites!
Optional spices: you can also add some onion powder, chili powder, or paprika to season the air-fried pork belly.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
Making pork belly bites in the air fryer is super easy. I've got detailed instructions below in the printable recipe card. But here's a visual step-by-step photo guide of how to make air fryer pork belly.
- In a large bowl. whisk together all of the seasoning ingredients.
- Add the sliced pork belly pieces and toss together to coat each piece.
3. Place the pork belly pieces in a single layer in your air fryer basket or tray. It's okay if some pieces overlap, but you want to avoid creating a pile of pork pieces on top of one another. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
4. Air fry at 400° for 10-15 minutes for crispy perfection, shaking the basket halfway through cooking time. If you have a tray-style air fryer, flip the pieces over halfway through.
⏲ Air fryer cook times
Important note about cook time: air fryers are very different and cook times can differ greatly from one air fryer to another. If this is your first time cooking pork belly in the air fryer, be sure to check on the cooking progress a couple of times.
I've made this in both my Ninja Foodi Dual Zone Air Fryer and my Ninja Foodi Deluxe XL Pressure Cooker & Air Fryer. In my experience, the pork belly is done cooking at around 10 minutes in the Ninja Foodi Dual Zone Air Fryer. In the Ninja Foodi Deluxe XL Pressure Cooker & Air Fryer, it's done in 15-18 minutes.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Pork belly is the cut that comes from the underbelly of the pig. Bacon is usually thinly-sliced pork belly that has gone through curing and smoking. However, bacon can also come from different parts of the pig, depending on the country and cuisine.
Everything in moderation. However, pork belly is a fatty cut of meat. In fact, it's the fattiest part of the pig. It's high in calories, total and saturated fat, and lower in protein compared to other cuts of pig. This makes pork belly delicious to eat, but definitely not something to indulge in if you are watching your weight or trying to eat healthier.
Allow the meat to cool completely, then store pork belly bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four or five days. Pork belly is best reheated in the air fryer at 375°F for 1-2 minutes.
🍽 Serving ideas
Air fryer pork belly bites can be served as an appetizer or a side dish. Serve them at parties on top of a bed of Summer Slaw.
I've also enjoyed pork belly as a main course. Try one of these main dish ideas:
- Pork belly rice bowls - Simply serve the pork belly bites over Instant Pot Garlic Rice and add your favorite veggies to make a pork belly rice bowl. I love adding sautéed broccoli, carrots, and a fried egg.
- Pork belly ramen - Serve pork belly bites on top of a bowl of hot ramen, with a jammy egg, bok choy or Chinese broccoli, and green onions.
🍷 🥂 Wine pairings
Pair these savory, salty pork bites with a light-bodied, fruit forward red wine. Try a Pinot Noir, Gamay, or Cinsault wine.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Air Fryer - You'll need an air fryer that is at least 6 quarts to make this recipe. I've made this in both my Ninja Foodi Deluxe XL Pressure Cooker & Air Fryer and in my Ninja Foodi Dual Zone Air Fryer.
- Tongs - A pair of kitchen tongs makes it easy to take the pork belly bites in and out of the air fryer.
- Knife & Cutting Board - whether you are using a slab of pork belly or sliced pork belly, you'll need a sharp knife and sturdy cutting board to cut it into small pieces.
More air fryer recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Air Fryer Pork Belly Bites
- In a large bowl. mix together the oil, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the sliced pork belly to the seasoning mixture and toss together to fully coat all sides of each piece.
- Lay the pork belly in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer (or on the trays if you have a tray-style air fryer). Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
- Air fry at 400°F for 10 to 15 minutes*, shaking the basket (or flipping) halfway through.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.