In less than 15 minutes you can have fluffy rice thanks to the pressure cooker! Instant Pot Basmati Rice is an easy recipe that makes near perfect basmati rice every single time. Great side dish to go with almost any main course!
Rice is a classic side dish that goes with almost any main course. It's a naturally gluten-free source of fiber and carbohydrates.
I still cook rice a lot. It's a staple in our household, and I prefer to cook my rice in an electric pressure cooker instead of a rice cooker. It think it's easier, much faster, and results in fluffy, perfect rice!
🌟 Fluffy rice every time
This Instant Pot Basmati Rice recipe is a near-foolproof method of cooking rice that has the best results.
- 2-ingredients - You only need two simple ingredients to make this.
- Easy recipe - The minimal, simple steps to cooking basmati rice are super easy to follow. This is a great recipe for beginner Instant Pot users!
- Delicious - Pressure cooking creates fluffy white rice that's a delicious base for so many different meals.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Rice - We're using white basmati rice, which is an aromatic, long-grain rice. The brand of rice doesn't matter as much, but you'll get better results the fresher the rice is. You can use this same method for other long-grain white rices. Be sure to rinse the rice before cooking to get rid of excess starch.
Water - The water ratio is simple: 1 cup of water to 1-¼ cup rice. Note that many rice recipes calls for a 1:1 ratio. This works for many types of rice but I've found that basmati rice requires just a little extra amount of water. Not too much water, just a little more. You can even go up to 1-½ cups of water if you want fluffier, softer rice.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
Ready to start cooking?
You'll find full instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. To help guide you along the way, here's a visual step-by-step photo guide of the easy steps to make Instant Pot basmati rice.
First, prep the rice by rinsing it under cold water in a strainer until the water runs clear. This helps release the starches and results in fluffier rice.
- Add the rice to the post of the electric pressure cooker.
- Pour in the water.
- Secure the lid and make sure the release valve is in SEALING mode. Set the unit to Pressure Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
It will take the Instant Pot a few minutes to come to pressure, then it will start counting down. Once pressure cooking is complete, allow the pressure to Natural Release for 4 minutes. Natural pressure release means: don't do anything, just let the pressure release at its own pace.
Then after 4 minutes, do a Quick Release by carefully moving the pressure release valve over to the VENTING position. Once all of the remaining pressure has been released and the pressure release pin has fallen all the way down, then you can press CANCEL and carefully twist open the lid.
Fluff up the rice and serve.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You'll likely get sticky rice, instead of nice fluffy rice. Rinsing releases the starches of the rice and helps it cook more evenly as individual grains, instead of sticking together during the cooking time.
Store rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Place a portion of refrigerated rice into a microwave safe container. Add a little bit of water (about ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon depending on your portion size) and microwave in 30 second increments until the rice is heated through, fluffing with a fork in-between microwave times.
🍽 Serving ideas
This pressure cooker basmati rice is a hearty side dish for comfort food main courses. Serve it with Beef Mechado (Filipino beef stew), Instant Pot Stuffed Pork Loin Roast, Instant Pot Chicken Thighs, or Slow Cooker Honey Bourbon Meatballs. It's also delicious with seafood dishes like Shrimp Adobo in Coconut Milk, Thai Basil Shrimp, and Air Fryer Salmon Bites.
One of the best things about rice dishes like this is how versatile it is!
- Perfect for rice bowls. Use this rice in Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls or Shrimp Avocado Rice Bowls.
- Day-old rice is also perfect to make fried rice. Use this rice a day or two after it's made in Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice or Filipino Bacon Fried Rice.
- Use it in sushi or musubi. This is a great rice for Spam Musubi.
- It's a great base for classic Filipino breakfasts. Serve this rice as part of Spamsilog or Longsilog breakfast.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Electric pressure cooker - you'll need an electric pressure cooker, such as an Instant Pot or a Ninja Foodi Deluxe Pressure Cooker/Air Fryer.
More Instant Pot pressure cooker recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1¼ cup water
- Rinse the rice under cold water in a sieve until the water runs clear, which should only take about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pressure cooker pot.
- Pour the water into the pressure cooker pot.
- Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Then Natural Release for 4 minutes before doing a Quick Release.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.