Melon & Prosciutto Caprese Salad is perfect for summer picnics, barbecues, and dinners al fresco on the patio enjoying the summer sun!
Prosciutto-wrapped melon is a classic appetizer that always makes me think of summertime in Europe. No matter where we would go, but especially in Italy, I could always count on finding prosciutto and melon on the menu.
This salad is my homage to those plates of delectable little bites before our meals under the Tuscan sun. Melon and Prosciutto Caprese Salad is also a play on the traditional caprese salad.
🧡 Why you'll love this summer salad
This Melon Prosciutto Caprese Salad is truly one of my favorites to make each summer. And I hope it becomes one of your faves, too!
- It's the perfect balance of flavors: you get the salt from the prosciutto and the sweet from the melon. The basil gives the dish a nice, bright finish that makes it even more of a celebration of summer on a plate!
- This is a super EASY salad to put together.
- You can make it ahead of time (see FAQ section for instructions to ensure the melon and cheese don't become soggy).
- It's so refreshing and light. Perfect for hot summer days!
🥓 Ingredient notes
Cantaloupe - Use a melon baller to scoop out cantaloupe balls for this salad. Or you can simply slice the cantaloupe. You can also substitute honey dew melon if you prefer.
Mozzarella - Buying the bocconcini mozzarella balls saves time and prep work. But you can also buy a single mozzarella and use a melon baller to scoop out smaller mozzarella balls. Or, you can simply use slices of mozzarella.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
Step 1 - Layer all ingredients onto a large serving plate or tray. I usually start with a layer of full basil leaves and prosciutto, then top with cantaloupe melon balls, sprinkle in the mozzarella balls in between cantaloupe, then fill in the gaps with more prosciutto.
Step 2 - Drizzle olive oil over the entire salad.
Step 3 - Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the entire salad.
Step 4 - Sprinkle with chopped basil and season with salt and pepper. Using a spoon, gently toss main ingredients on top of the base layer all together so the cheese and melon balls all get a little bit of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil.
🥗 Recipe FAQs
Yes! If you know you are going to make this ahead of time for a party, I suggest assembling the mozzarella balls, melon balls, and prosciutto. Then cover and refrigerate for up to one day. Just before you are ready to serve, that's when you would drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and finish with the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Toss together just before serving.
A traditional caprese salad usually consists of mozzarella cheese, basil leaves, and cherry tomatoes. If you like those classic flavors, be sure to try our Corn and Quinoa Caprese Salad.
🍽 Serving ideas
This is such a fun summer salad. Bring it to picnics, work parties, barbecues. Or, just make it for yourself and enjoy a nice relaxing evening out on the back deck!
Serve it at your next BBQ alongside Grilled Salmon, Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers or Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Scallops.
Or enjoy it as a picnic side dish along with New England-style Shrimp Rolls or Classic Chicken Salad Sandwiches.
🥂 Best wine pairing
This light, fresh salad pairs well with a glass of Rosé. You could also pair it with a crisp Chardonnay aged in stainless steel. Or try a glass of Grüner Veltliner with this salad.
More summer recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Melon and Prosciutto Caprese Salad
- 1 cantaloupe seeded and either sliced into cubes or scooped out into cute little melon balls
- 1 package prosciutto or 2 if you want more meat!
- 1 pound mozzarella balls I used half of a ginormous Costco-sized package of individual servings that each had three mozzarella balls in them
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil plus a few leaves for garnish
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Layer all ingredients onto a large serving plate or tray. I usually start with a layer of full basil leaves and prosciutto, then top with cantaloupe melon balls, sprinkle in the mozzarella balls in between cantaloupe, then fill in the gaps with more prosciutto.
- Sprinkle chopped basil over the entire salad.
- Drizzle olive oil over the entire salad.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the entire salad.
- Lightly salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon, gently toss main ingredients on top of the base layer all together so the cheese and melon balls all get a little bit of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 2-3 hours before serving.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This recipe was first published on July 8, 2016. It was updated with all new photos, step-by-step recipe instructions, more helpful FAQs and republished on August 3, 2022.
one of my absolute favorite treats for dinner/dinner party/everything!
so wonderful! What a great combo of sweet and salty! Yum!
This is so delicious. I am a huge fan of any kind of salad that incorporates mozzarella (especially when there's leftover cheese that I can eat with wine later!).
What a beautiful salad - and yet another reason to love the light fare of summertime! I'm not much of a "measurer" myself, so I appreciate a recipe that gives me a road-map and then leaves me find my own way to it. Thanks for the recipe.
I love the combo of sweet melon and salty meat with creamy mozzarella, it's a easy but fancy dish perfect for summer.
Great recipe! delish!
YUM! That looks so delicious! I love it.
This is so delicious! I'd never had prosciutto and melon together, but the combination is amazing!
This salad is delicious! It is perfect for summer.
Kyla Matton Osborne (#RubyWriter) says
What a great combination for a salad. I'm hungry just looking at the photos!
Maggie Unzueta says
I need this in my life. Looks so yummy!
So incredibly elegant and of the moment! I made a dinner out of this!