It's BBQ season and these Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers are sweet and tangy. Such an easy summer dish that's packed with flavor!
As soon as the temperatures hit 75 degrees in Portland, I declare it the unofficial start of summer!
This is when we pop open the grill and fire up yummy summery eats to enjoy while dining outside, like these Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers.
🌟 Why these skewers are great for grilling
My dad was (and still is!) the grill master, and he always made chicken kabobs that were so juicy, tender, and flavorful. The recipe I'm sharing here is my easy version of those yummy BBQ chicken skewers!
- Easy to make: You just need to marinate the chicken for a few hours, and pop on the grill!
- They cook up fast: They only need about 10 minutes of cook time and they're ready to enjoy!
- Great finger food: These are perfect appetizers to make for when you have a group of friends over for a backyard barbecue.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Skinless, boneless chicken thighs - Chicken thighs always come out more juicy and tender than chicken breasts.
For the marinade - May of these are Asian pantry staples, most of them have quite a long shelf life:
- oyster sauce
- teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
- chili garlic sauce (you may omit this if you don't want any heat to the dish)
- dijon mustard
Optional ingredients are the green onions/scallions and sesame seeds.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
1. Start with making the marinade. combine oyster sauce, teriyaki sauce or soy sauce, ketchup, honey, chili garlic sauce, Dijon, garlic, onions, ginger, lemon slices, and 1 tablespoon water.
2. Skewer the chicken and marinate for at least 2 hours to 8 hours, turning the bag occasionally, then drain the chicken from the marinade.
3. Heat up grill, brush it with olive oil so the chicken won't stick and place the skewers on the grill's top rack away from direct heat.
4. While the chicken is grilling, turn occasionally until it is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F -- about 10 minutes. Brush skewers with reserved oyster sauce mixture, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes. Then garnish and serve.
❓ Recipe FAQs
Soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before adding the chicken and grilling. Or you could use metal skewers if you have them.
Use a meat thermometer to ensure your chicken is cooked thoroughly to 165° degrees Fahrenheit.
🍽 What to serve with grilled chicken skewers
This grilled chicken goes well with so many different side dishes. From traditional BBQ side dishes to accompaniments with an Asian flavor, you'll find that these skewers are versatile and delicious when enjoyed with dishes like Tomato Cucumber Salad, Corn with Basil Lime Butter, Filipino Lumpia Shanghai (Filipino egg rolls), or Melon and prosciutto Caprese salad.
🍷 Best wine pairings with grilled honey garlic chicken
A medium- to full-bodied Chardonnay goes well with most grilled chicken recipes. However, since this chicken recipe has an Asian-style marinade, I suggest pairing it with a Sauvignon Blanc.
More grilling recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Grilled Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ small yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ lemon, sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl, combine oyster sauce, teriyaki sauce or soy sauce, ketchup, honey, chili garlic sauce, Dijon, garlic, onions, ginger, lemon slices, and 1 tablespoon water. Reserve ¼ cup and set aside.
- Skewer the chicken and marinate for at least 2 hours to overnight, up to 8 hours, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush with vegetable oil or olive oil so the skewers won't stick.
- Add skewers to grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken is completely cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 10 minutes. Brush skewers with reserved oyster sauce mixture, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.