Make this vegan cashew queso dip in just about 20 minutes! It's a delicious, dairy-free party appetizer that's perfect for game day or any gathering!
When I first started a dairy-free life, I discovered an amazing vegan nacho dip. It was rich and chunky and cheesy, and tasted like the real thing!
I loved it so much and decided to make my own dairy free queso dip. After some trial and error, I came up with a couple of different recipes that I loved. So today, I'm sharing my Vegan Cashew Queso Dip recipe and hope you will all love it, too!
🧄 Ingredients for vegan cashew queso dip
Cashews - This dairy free queso dip gets its "cheesiness" from blended cashews. Cashew cheese is a popular dairy free cheese alternative, so it's no wonder it works so well in making a cheese-like dip!
Onions and garlic - These add a lovely base of flavor to the dip.
Spices and seasonings - Use turmeric, paprika, cumin and chili powder to add big flavors to this dairy free queso dip.
Nutritional yeast - Another popular ingredient used in dairy-free recipes and vegan recipes. Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy, nutty flavor to any dish.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
In a saucepan, begin by sautéing the onion and garlic.
Then add the spices and stir, sautéing for just a little longer.
Next you'll blend the cashews, water, salt, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast.
Then you'll add the sautéed mixture and blend until smooth. At this point, you can add more water and blend in increments, until you get the consistency you like.
Pour the dairy free queso into the saucepan you used earlier, stir in the fire roasted tomatoes.
Cook and adjust flavors according to your preference. At this point, you can add more spices, salt and pepper, a little chopped cilantro, some jalapeño... it's all up to you!
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs and cooking tips
You only do if you don't have a high powered blender. In that case, you'll want to soak the cashews in water for up to four hours before you begin making this recipe.
This recipe makes a delicious chunkier queso dip, with nice texture in each bite. If you prefer a creamier queso dip, then definitely soak the cashews ahead of time. You'll also want to blend in more water, and blend for a longer period of time. And, you will get a creamier consistency with a higher quality, high powered blender.
🍽 Serving ideas
Pour the queso into a serving bowl and top with chopped cilantro, more tomatoes, some dairy free sour cream, jalapeño. Serve it with tortilla chips, sliced vegetables, and/or sliced sausages to dip.
More dairy free recipes + tips
Whether you're new to dairy-free cooking and baking, or you've been living a dairy-free lifestyle for years, we've got a lot of dairy-free recipes and tips for you!
- Check out our favorite dairy-free products for cooking and baking.
- Learn how to make vegan cashew cheese. Great for pastas, as a dip, and more.
- Try one of these 60 Dairy-Free Winter Recipes for the ultimate comfort food.
More dairy free game day recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Vegan Cashew Queso Dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup raw cashews if you do not have a high speed mixer, soak for up to 4 hours first and drain
- ¼ cup water plus more, if needed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ cup fire roasted tomatoes drained
- Optional: jalapenos cilantro, fresh tomatoes
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic for 1 minute, just until slightly softened. Add the paprika, turmeric, cumin, and chili powder. Stir and sauté for 1 more minute; remove from heat.
- In a high speed blender, mix the cashews, water, salt, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Add the sautéed mixture of onions, garlic, and spices and blend until smooth. Add an additional tablespoon of water at a time, as needed, to make blending easier and until you get the smooth texture you desire.
- Pour the queso into the saucepan you used earlier, stir in the fire roasted tomatoes, and cook over medium heat. Be sure to taste and adjust flavors according to your preference at this time: you can add more spices, salt and pepper, a little chopped cilantro or jalapeño.
- Once warm, remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Top with your preferred optional toppings (I like this with chopped cilantro and a little seeded & sliced jalapeño). Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This sounds great. I will definitely try making it. I was just thinking of dairy-free cheese the other day, as I'm trying to reduce my dairy consumption. The only things I consume are greek yogurt and cheese..... but I love cheese!
I never had queso before, looks sooooooo delicious! I would love to make it. Thanks a lot.
Celebrate Woman Today says
I love that you gave this recipe for the dairy intolerant people. We are going to the Big Game party, and my friend needs all things gluten and dairy free.
Jhentea Guzman says
Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds fun to try something vegan nowadays.
Eileen M Loya says
I am saving the recipe. Although no one in the family is vegan, we do have some friends who are and we don't want them to feel left out when we host a party. This dairy free queso dip would be nice to serve on game day if they will be coming over.
Gervin Khan says
Wow, this dip looks really good and tasty. I must try making this for our new nachos dip/sauce.
A Chronic Voice says
That looks delicious and nutritious, love the pics! I've heard good things about the Vitamix Blender, too. Need to check it out!
Olya Aman says
You do a nice job with your page. I love it.
I love this. I am going to try it for my son. He's so picky with food and I trt to make varieties for him to keep him interested.
Erin @ Platings and Pairings says
This queso looks so delicious Marlynn and I love that it's a dairy free option! Perfect for the Super Bowl!
Katie Carrick says
My kids eat way too much dairy. I'm going to try to sneak this one in and see if they can't tell the difference. (It may be a new go-to snack!)
Tawnie Kroll says
This recipe was such a hit! Thank you!
I recently went dairy free, due to inflammation. I am so excited to still be able to eat queso!!
Pam Greer says
We have some dairy free friends coming over for a superbowl party, so this is definitely going on the menu, I have been searching for something to try!
Jacqueline Debono says
I love dips and often serve them when I have guests. This is a brilliant one for vegan friends (I have a few!) Going to bookmark this recipe!
Lizet Bowen says
This is such a great idea. My niece is coming next weekend and I wanted to make something vegan for her. Thanks for the recipe!