Make this vegan cashew queso dip in just about 20 minutes! It's a delicious, dairy-free party appetizer that's perfect for game day or any gathering!
When I first started a dairy-free life, I discovered an amazing vegan nacho dip. It was rich and chunky and cheesy, and tasted like the real thing!
I loved it so much and decided to make my own dairy free queso dip. After some trial and error, I came up with a couple of different recipes that I loved. So today, I'm sharing my Vegan Cashew Queso Dip recipe and hope you will all love it, too!
🧄 Ingredients for vegan cashew queso dip
Cashews - This dairy free queso dip gets its "cheesiness" from blended cashews. Cashew cheese is a popular dairy free cheese alternative, so it's no wonder it works so well in making a cheese-like dip!
Onions and garlic - These add a lovely base of flavor to the dip.
Spices and seasonings - Use turmeric, paprika, cumin and chili powder to add big flavors to this dairy free queso dip.
Nutritional yeast - Another popular ingredient used in dairy-free recipes and vegan recipes. Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy, nutty flavor to any dish.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
In a saucepan, begin by sautéing the onion and garlic.
Then add the spices and stir, sautéing for just a little longer.
Next you'll blend the cashews, water, salt, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast.
Then you'll add the sautéed mixture and blend until smooth. At this point, you can add more water and blend in increments, until you get the consistency you like.
Pour the dairy free queso into the saucepan you used earlier, stir in the fire roasted tomatoes.
Cook and adjust flavors according to your preference. At this point, you can add more spices, salt and pepper, a little chopped cilantro, some jalapeño... it's all up to you!
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs and cooking tips
You only do if you don't have a high powered blender. In that case, you'll want to soak the cashews in water for up to four hours before you begin making this recipe.
This recipe makes a delicious chunkier queso dip, with nice texture in each bite. If you prefer a creamier queso dip, then definitely soak the cashews ahead of time. You'll also want to blend in more water, and blend for a longer period of time. And, you will get a creamier consistency with a higher quality, high powered blender.
🍽 Serving ideas
Pour the queso into a serving bowl and top with chopped cilantro, more tomatoes, some dairy free sour cream, jalapeño. Serve it with tortilla chips, sliced vegetables, and/or sliced sausages to dip.
More dairy free recipes + tips
Whether you're new to dairy-free cooking and baking, or you've been living a dairy-free lifestyle for years, we've got a lot of dairy-free recipes and tips for you!
- Check out our favorite dairy-free products for cooking and baking.
- Learn how to make vegan cashew cheese. Great for pastas, as a dip, and more.
- Try one of these 60 Dairy-Free Winter Recipes for the ultimate comfort food.
More dairy free game day recipes
Love this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and a review in the comments further down. Thanks!
Vegan Cashew Queso Dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup raw cashews if you do not have a high speed mixer, soak for up to 4 hours first and drain
- ¼ cup water plus more, if needed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ cup fire roasted tomatoes drained
- Optional: jalapenos cilantro, fresh tomatoes
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté the onion and garlic for 1 minute, just until slightly softened. Add the paprika, turmeric, cumin, and chili powder. Stir and sauté for 1 more minute; remove from heat.
- In a high speed blender, mix the cashews, water, salt, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Add the sautéed mixture of onions, garlic, and spices and blend until smooth. Add an additional tablespoon of water at a time, as needed, to make blending easier and until you get the smooth texture you desire.
- Pour the queso into the saucepan you used earlier, stir in the fire roasted tomatoes, and cook over medium heat. Be sure to taste and adjust flavors according to your preference at this time: you can add more spices, salt and pepper, a little chopped cilantro or jalapeño.
- Once warm, remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Top with your preferred optional toppings (I like this with chopped cilantro and a little seeded & sliced jalapeño). Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.