If you're looking for a crowd-pleasing side dish that's perfect for dinner and for parties, try this easy broccoli crunch salad recipe. It's packed with nourishing, healthy vegetables and satisfying crunch with every bite.
Have you ever tried the broccoli salad from Whole Foods Market? I used to buy it for work lunches when I worked across the street from a Whole Foods (or as my co-workers called it, "Whole Paycheck," back then). I never knew I could like raw broccoli salad so much until I tried that salad!
Now I make this yummy copycat Broccoli Crunch Salad recipe at home. It's become a favorite salad that it can be enjoyed as the main meal sometimes!
With nourishing vegetables, nuts, seeds, and protein-packed bacon, this easy broccoli salad recipe is topped with a creamy dressing. It's a great way to get some essential vitamins and minerals into your day. And, to enjoy every delicious bite of it while doing so!
🌟 Why this recipe works
If you're a fan of crunchy salads, this easy recipe is for you!
- It's an easy salad to make ahead of time. Simply chop up all of the ingredients for the salad and toss together -- but wait to add the dressing until just before you serve it.
- Nourishing ingredients - This healthy salad is bursting with vitamins and minerals thanks to a delicious combination of vegetables, nuts, seeds, and a splash of apple cider vinegar.
- So much flavor - You're going to love how there's salty, sweet, tangy notes in every bite. It's such a hearty, satisfying salad!
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Broccoli - Crunchy broccoli is the star of this salad. This cruciferous green veggie is high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and potassium. You'll need at least a whole head of broccoli for this salad - and perhaps more, depending on the size of broccoli you find at your local grocery store. Use fresh broccoli instead of frozen.
- Red onion - Finely diced red onion adds some spice to each bite.
- Dried cranberries - Dried cranberries add some tartness and sweetness.
- Bacon - Because everything's better with bacon! The salty bacon adds a savory salty extra crunch to each bite.
- Sunflower seeds - crunchy sunflower seeds (also known as pepitas) are
- Almonds - Sliced almonds are packed with vitamin E, fiber, and magnesium. They add a nutty crunch that is irresistible!
Creamy homemade dressing ingredients - You'll need a cup mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and vinegar for the dressing.
Vegan option - If you want to make this a vegan broccoli salad, omit the bacon.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
The full list of ingredients and detailed instructions are in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. Here's a step-by-step photo guide to help you make this delicious salad!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside, or pour into a salad dressing container and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the salad ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss all ingredients together.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You'll want to look for bright green or dark green broccoli that is firm to the touch. If it's soft and pliable it is likely older broccoli and will lack flavor and crunch in a salad.
Yes! Broccoli stems - or broccoli stalks - contain a lot of nutrients and fiber. You can chop them up along with the florets and include them in this salad! They are also great to use up in stir-fries.
Broccoli salad without the dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. If you've already tossed it with salad dressing, you can store it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. The longer it sits in the dressing the soggier the ingredients will become.
🍽 Serving ideas
This crunchy broccoli salad with crispy bacon is the perfect side dish all year long.
When the temperatures drop in the fall and winter, this is a hearty salad to enjoy with comfort food classics. Serve it with Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese, Instant Pot Pork Roast, or Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks.
🥂 Wine pairings
Broccoli is one of the green vegetables that is notoriously difficult to pair with with. Broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, kale, and Brussels sprouts all have high levels of sulfur. This tends to make wine taste flawed and bitter.
Your best bet is to go for bubbles: a sparkling wine won't be as affected as other wines by raw broccoli's sulfur compounds. Dry, herbaceous wines like Sauvignon Blanc and Grüner Veltliner also tend to fare well when enjoyed with broccoli.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? You don't need any fancy tools to make it! Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Cutting board and knife - You'll need a cutting board and sharp knife to chop the veggies. And you will also need a separate cutting board and knife to slice the bacon once it is cooked. Remember: it's always best to have a separate cutting board for meat so as to avoid cross contamination.
- Tongs - Kitchen tongs are great to toss the ingredients together. Alternatively, you could use two wooden spoons.
- Large bowl - You'll need a large serving bowl for the salad.
- Salad dressing bottle - This OXO salad dressing bottle is great for shaking up the ingredients together and pouring easily over salads.
More broccoli recipes
Have a head of broccoli that you need to use up? Here are more recipes using broccoli to enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Broccoli Crunch Salad
For the dressing
For the salad
- 8 cups chopped broccoli
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 4 slices cooked, cooled, and chopped bacon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside, or pour into a salad dressing container and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the salad ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss all ingredients together. Or, you can serve the dressing on the side.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.