Easy Shrimp Lo Mein is so fast, so easy, and so delicious. It's better than take-out! If you love noodles, this dish is sure to become one of your Go To recipes for lunch or dinner. And it's ready in under 20 minutes!
When you need a quick and delicious meal, it's ramen to the rescue!
Wait: Ramen noodles in lo mein? Aren't you supposed to use Chinese egg noodles?
Yes, traditional lo mein recipes call for Chinese egg noodles. If you've got 'em, certainly use 'em!
But if you're like me and you don't, then ramen noodles are an amazing next-best-thing. In fact, I personally prefer ramen noodles in my lo mein!
What makes this Easy Shrimp Lo Mein recipe so special?
This easy shrimp lo mein recipe is honestly one of my favorites. I make it a LOT.
I've been making variations of this yummy noodle recipe for several years – way back from my college days when ramen noodles, 3am Taco Bell delivery, and pizza for days were the norm. (How my body survived my college eating habits is a true mystery of the universe).
Once I moved to an apartment after sophomore year, we'd start to mix things up and use the ramen noodles in stir fry.
Since then, noodles have been my Go To. Even today, as a grown adult (which is a sometimes questionable self-description), Easy Shrimp Lo Mein is one of my favorite #FastLunch dishes to make while I work from home.
When work is crazy busy, making this lo mein dish is a much-needed and soul-satisfying break.
Tools and Equipment
To make this Shrimp Lo Mein recipe, you'll need:
- Wok - I use this 13-inch wok and it works perfectly.
For the sauce
For the lo mein
How to make this easy Shrimp Lo Mein recipe
The satisfying recipe doesn't take too long to make. Yet it takes just enough time to get me up on my feet, moving about, and making something delicious to nourish my mind, body, and soul for the rest of the work day.
First, stir together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and ground ginger In a small bowl and set aside.
Then cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and also set aside.
In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook the shrimp until both sides are a nice pink color (about 2-3 minutes).
Add the vegetables and garlic, and stir constantly until vegetables are slightly softened.
Toss in the noodles and the sauce and mix well. Then serve!
If you or your kids aren't into shrimp, you can easily substitute chicken, pork, beef. Or, leave the meat out entirely and double up on the veggies for a hearty vegetarian noodle dish.
Here are some of my favorites to include in this lo mein noodle dish: Carrots, red bell peppers, broccoli, red or green cabbage, baby corn, celery.
Wines that pair well with shrimp lo mein
This shrimp lo mein is also a fantastic fast weeknight dinner, especially when paired with a lively white wine. Consider enjoying it with a Riesling, Grüner Veltliner, or a crisp Pinot Blanc.
If you're feeling bubbly, go for it! This dish tastes extra amazing with a glass of champagne, prosecco, cava, or other sparkling wine.
Not feeling the vino vibe tonight? Crack open a cold one, like Tsingtao, my favorite Chinese beer. Or go for a fun hard cider, like Portland Cider Company's Sorta Sweet Cider.
More fast, easy, delicious recipes
Easy Shrimp Lo Mein
- 2 packages uncooked ramen noodles (discard spice packet that comes with it)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ - ¾ pound shrimp
- 2 cups julienned (thinly sliced) veggies of your choice, such as carrots, red peppers, and chopped broccoli
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- optional garnish: sliced chives or green onions, chopped parsley
Make the sauce
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and ground ginger. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. When cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp until fully cooked (both sides should be a nice pink color), about 2-3 minutes. Add the vegetables and garlic, and stir constantly until vegetables are slightly softened, about 2-3 more minutes. Toss in the noodles and the sauce, and toss together until the noodles and veggies are well coated.
- Garnish with fresh herbs if you wish. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.