Air Fryer Pasta Chips are a great snack that's easy to make at home! The viral TikTok recipe has taken over social media for good reason. Here's my easy recipe plus a few helpful tips to make the best air fryer pasta chips!
Viral recipes are popular, but just because a recipe has gone viral on social media doesn't mean it's necessarily a great recipe. I've tried and tested a LOT of viral recipes, and only share the best ones with you here.
This Air Fryer Pasta Chips recipe is one that actually tastes great, is easy for any home cook to make, and makes for a super fun snack!
If you've never tried to make these before, be sure you read my air frying tips below. While this is an easy recipe to make, there are a few tips to keep in mind that will help this yummy snack turn out the best.
🌟 Why this recipe works
This snack recipe is so fun!
- You only need a few basic ingredients.
- It's a super fast recipe: you can make this in about 15 minutes.
- You can make this with farfalle or a different type of pasta.
- This is a super snackable recipe that's perfect for after school snacking, to serve as Game Day snacks, movie night snacks, or a fun party snack.
- It's great to dip into your favorite sauce.
🛒 Ingredient notes
Pasta - I love using farfalle pasta (bowtie pasta) and find it to be the best shape pasta for this recipe. It's compact and totally snackable! But you can use almost any type of pasta shape you want. Try penne pasta, ziti, or rigatoni pasta.
Parmesan cheese - Use freshly grated parmesan cheese for the best flavor. Dairy-free substitution: I've also made this recipe with my fave dairy-free parmesan cheese alternative and nutritional yeast, and it turned out delicious!
Seasoning - A simple blend of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley, and black pepper adds some bright flavor to these pasta chips. If you don't have Italian seasoning, use equal parts dried basil, thyme, and oregano.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
Full instructions with measurements are in the recipe card below. Here is a quick step-by-step visual guide.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, just until al dente for the best results. Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer at 400°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the grated parmesan, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley and black pepper.
3. When the pasta is al dente, drain and place the pasta in a large bowl. Toss the pasta together with the olive oil.
4. Then sprinkle the seasoning mix over the pasta and toss together to coat the pasta.
5. If you'd like, you can spray the basket of an air fryer with cooking spray. Then place the pasta in a single layer in the air fryer. Air fry at 400°F for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, gently shake the air fryer basket. If you have a tray style air fryer, use a spatula to gently flip the pasta over. Air fry for 2-3 more minutes. Pasta chips should be lightly golden brown to crispy perfection when done. If you find your pasta chips are chewy, air fry them for another couple of minutes.
6. Use a spatula to gently remove the pasta chips from the air fryer and transfer them to a wire rack placed over paper towels.
👩🏻🍳 Important recipe tips & FAQs
Yes. This is important! If you cook it until it's soft, it will not become crunchy in the time noted in this recipe; you'll have to air fry it for longer if the pasta starts out too soft.
Preheating the air fryer, regardless of which kind of air fryer you have, helps the chips cook up faster. If you do NOT preheat your air fryer, then add a few minutes to the total cook time.
Air fryer pasta chips are best eaten after they are made. That said, I have found that you can place chips that have cooled to room temperature in a plastic zip lock bag and store it at room temperature for up to 2 days. After that, the chips start losing their crunch.
For the crispiest pasta chips, place them on a wire rack placed over paper towels immediately after they are done cooking. The wire rack helps them stay crispy as air circulates on all sides; food placed on paper towels can sometimes get soggy and lose its crispness.
It could be a couple of things. First, make sure you only cook the pasta until it's al dente; soft pasta won't crisp up well. Second, it could be your air fryer. Remember that all air fryers are different, so depending on the size of your air fryer and particular model, you may need to add more cook time.
🍽 Serving ideas
This is the perfect snack to enjoy on its own, or with your favorite dipping sauce. I love a classic marinara sauce, ranch dip, or pesto dip.
The seasoning I use in this recipe is a classic Italian seasoning. But other great ideas for different flavors would be pizza seasoning, cinnamon sugar for a sweet version, or some Cajun seasoning for a spicy kick.
Serving this for Game Day? Pair it with Air Fryer Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp, Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken, or Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls.
Serving this for Movie Night? Enjoy it with Instant Pot Popcorn, Air Fryer Frozen Pizza, or Air Fryer Popcorn Shrimp
🍷 🥂 Wine pairings
Like most salty foods, I love pairing this fun snack with some sparkling wine. But it's just as delicious with a cold beer, kombucha, or iced tea!
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
Air fryer - I have made this in both our Ninja Foodi Deluxe Pressure Cooker/Air Fryer and our Ninja Foodi Dual Zone Air Fryer.
Note: in my recipe testing, the pasta chips took longer to cook in the dual zone air fryer than they did in the classic Ninja Foodi with crisping basket. Remember that every air fryer is different, and you may need to add a few extra minutes to the total cooking time depending on your air fryer.
More air fryer recipes
Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- 1 12-ounce package farfalle pasta
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot, boil 4-6 cups of water and cook the pasta according to package directions, just until al dente.*
- Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer at 400°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the grated parmesan, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain and place the pasta in a large bowl. Toss the pasta together with the olive oil. Then sprinkle the seasoning mix and ½ Tablespoon of the chopped parsley over the pasta and toss together to coat the pasta.
- Place pasta in the air fryer and air fry at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, gently shake the air fryer basket. If you have a tray style air fryer, use a spatula to gently flip the pasta over.
- Air fry for 2-3 more minutes. Pasta chips should be crispy when done.
- Use a spatula to gently remove the pasta chips from the air fryer and transfer them to a wire rack placed over paper towels.**
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
Leave a Reply