This grilled Pesto Steak recipe puts a twist on traditional pesto by adding cilantro with the basil, and swapping out pine nuts for almonds.
I love pesto as a complement to pasta. The mix of basil and pine nuts is classic. But it's fun to shake things up once in a while. So that's why I decided to play around some new pesto flavors for this pesto steak dish. I think you'll love the results!
🌟 What makes this pesto steak so delicious
- Quick to make: This pesto steak recipe comes together in just 15 minutes. Perfect for when you're pressed for time and need to whip up dinner fast.
- Fresh, nutty flavors: The addition of almond for pine nuts gives this pesto a fresh nuttiness that's a twist on traditional pesto.
- Great for barbecues: Throw these steaks on the grill for your next barbecue with friends. They'll be asking you for the recipe!
🛒 Ingredient notes
Almonds - The almonds add a depth and nutty flavor that is richer than traditional pine nuts.
Cilantro - Adding cilantro along with basil gives this pesto a bit of extra zing and a more herbal flavor.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
For the pesto
1. Toss the olive oil, basil, cilantro, garlic, almonds, and salt & pepper into a blender.
2. Pulse until almonds have been sufficiently crushed, then blend/puree for about 2 minutes, until you have a nice thick but somewhat smooth sauce/dip consistency.
For the steak
3. Lightly season steak with salt & pepper.
4. Coat the steak by placing it in a large ziplock bag with about ½ of the prepared pesto.
5. Grill the steaks for about 4-5 minutes. Let rest for 10-15 minutes, then serve!
Pesto is so versatile. If you have leftover pesto, you can use it as a:
- steak, pork, or chicken marinade
- pasta sauce
- dip for veggies
- condiment for almost any sandwich
- salad dressing
or mix it into frittatas and omelets.
Pesto will keep for 1-2 weeks in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
🍽 What to serve with pesto steak
Other great grilled dishes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Grilled Pesto Steak
- Lightly season steak with salt & pepper, and set aside.
- Toss all of the remaining ingredients into a blender.
- Pulse until almonds have been sufficiently crushed, then blend/puree for about 2 minutes, until you have a nice thick but somewhat smooth sauce/dip consistency.
- Coat the steak by placing it in a large ziplock bag with about ½ of the prepared pesto. Set the remaining half of the pesto aside in a jar or airtight container and save for other uses later in the week.
- Grill the steaks for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve. You can also top with a spoonful of additional pesto if you'd like.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. All photos, recipes, and opinions are, as always, my own.