This post-workout shake is a smooth, delicious treat packed with protein designed to help you refuel!
During the past few months, I've been spending more time working out. Maybe more than I have ever before in my entire adult life!
In doing so, I've learned that replenishing important nutrients after a hard workout is SUPER important! If I don't re-hydrate and replenish lost minerals, I'm not as focused the rest of the day and my energy production is lower.
This is why I've learned to incorporate a post-workout shake with healthy ingredients into my routine.
💪🏽 Why this post-workout shake works
While I often have a green smoothie before a workout, I like to have this chocolate protein shake after I exercise. Here's why:
Ultra-filtered chocolate milk - I use ultra-filtered milk in this shake. It's high in water content, protein, and calcium — all great for helping your bones and muscles recover from exercise. It also has less lactose and sugar than regular milk. And as an added bonus, it has a tasty chocolate flavor!
Peanut butter - This is also a great source of protein to help rebuild muscles. Plus peanut butter has been linked to all sorts of health benefits, including helping with weight loss, and a lower risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Chia seeds - Often referred to as a superfood, chia seeds are packed with healthy omega-3s, calcium, phosphorus, and fiber.
🍌 5-Ingredient Shake
This delicious, healthy protein shake uses just 5 ingredients:
- Ultra-Filtered Chocolate Milk - this is a yummy ultra-filtered chocolate milk that is great on its own, but packs a punch when blended with the remaining ingredients.
- banana - loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, you just need one regular-sized banana without the peel
- peanut butter - I prefer to use creamy peanut butter.
- chia seeds - not only are they loaed with nutrients, they can also help you stay hydrated.
✅ Step-by-step directions
Exact measurements of ingredients and instructions are in the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this post. Here are some helpful tips to guide you as you make this recipe.
Making this delicious post-workout shake couldn't be any easier. Which is helpful after an intense workout!
1. First, add all 5 ingredients to a high-powered blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
💡 Optional additional ingredients
Like most smoothies and shakes, you can make this post-workout protein shake more to your personal taste preference. Some ideas:
- sprinkle in some chocolate chips
- add a scoop of collagen powder
- use a frozen banana instead of fresh fruit
- add flaxseed
- make it a mocha-flavored shake by adding some mocha-flavored instant coffee or a few teaspoons of coffee
- some vanilla can also be a great addition
⭐️ Recipe FAQ
The extra protein in most post-workout shakes is designed to help you rebuild muscles. So the quicker you have your post-workout shake, the faster that muscle recovery and muscle growth process can get started. It's best not to wait more than 45 minutes to an hour before consuming a post-workout protein shake.
Absolutely! Almond milk is a good option. It's low in calories and high in vitamin D. And oat milk is good for bone health and a good source of B vitamins. But both are lower in protein than regular milk, so consider supplementing your protein intake with other sources.
👩🏽🍳 Kitchen Tools and Equipment
The key piece of equipment you'll need to make this shake is a blender.
I've been using this high-powered blender from Vitamix for years and I love it for its consistency and reliability.
This more basic blender isn't as high-powered, but it will still do a great job blending shakes and smoothies!
More shake and smoothie recipes
Get more post-workout smoothie and shake recipes for after your next sweat sesh. Check out the posts below.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Post-Workout Protein Shake
- 1 cup Ultra-Filtered chocolate milk
- 1 banana
- 1 cup ice
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.