Planning an Academy Award Show viewing party? Here are some delicious and fun Oscar Party ideas to inspire you!
Confession: I have only seen one of the movies nominated for Best Picture in this year's Academy Awards. Only a couple of the other nominated films are of any interest to me. Is that terrible? I went to college with television and film students. Some of my dearest friends are in the industry, and yet, I am so out of touch with movies these days.
What I DO love is any excuse to throw a fun party, and the Academy Awards is definitely a fun one!
Oscar party food
I like to serve sweets at any party, but I feel like the people who attend the Academy Awards probably aren't really appreciating the beauty of desserts and therefore it is our duty as everyday citizens to chow down on some tasty brownies and bite-sized cupcakes for them. It's only right.
You can also sprinkle a little gold dust on some popcorn (it is movie-themed, after all) and serve it in classic popcorn containers.
Cheese and cracker platters are common entertaining staples, but for an Oscar party, consider serving a "golden" colored cheese, such as this beautiful 5 Year Gouda (or any aged Gouda that has visible crystallization, giving you both gold and diamonds!).
Oscar party drinks
Bubbles is the obvious choice but for good reason: what better way to celebrate than with a sparkling wine?
Here's a list of some of my current fave sparkling wines:
J Vineyards 1008 Brut NV, $45 (made with a hint of distilled brandy...so good!)
2010 Argyle Blanc de Blanc, $50
2011 Soter Vineyards Mineral Springs Brut Rosé, $65
Sokol Blosser Evolution Sparkling, $20 (wallet-friendly and still amazing!)
Oscar party decor and printables
Some ideas for a simple, inexpensive Oscar Party worthy of winning a party host award:
- Roll out the red carpet for your guests
- Decorate your tables with inexpensive gold statuettes (pictured in this post)
- Sprinkle inexpensive foil gold star decorations throughout
- Dress up trays, plates, vases, utensils, glasses - you name it! - with gold star washi tape
- Download and print out my FREE Oscar Party Printables
Another very simple yet effective tool to help you create a star-studded Oscar Party: Wine Glass Writers.
Wine glass writer
All of the writing on the glazed ceramic plates, paper plates, and wine glasses you see in this post are done with Wine Glass Writer products.
Now, I have used a lot of different methods (dry erase marker, anyone?) and I can honestly say that I LOVE having the Wine Glass Writer at my disposal for many different purposes when I entertain at my house.
I use my Wine Glass Writers to:
- label wine glasses (obviously, right?)
- label food trays
- decorate wine glasses and food trays (see the little stars I did on the foot of the wine glass above? SO simple but cute for an Oscar Party!)
- write out menus on a display plate or picture frame
- write personal notes on wine bottles that I give as hostess gifts