If you want a fast, easy, delicious vegetarian pasta dish, try this creamy Mushroom Pesto Pasta recipe. It's an easy pesto pasta with big umami flavors from the sliced mushrooms and garlic.
Whether it's Meatless Monday or any other busy weeknight, this pesto mushroom pasta is a great recipe that the whole family will love!
The mushrooms add this amazing, rich umami flavor. And the creamy pesto sauce brings brightness and zing to the pasta.
This 30-minute recipe is great to whip up for the whole family - even on a crazy school night!
🌟 Why this recipe works
Mushroom pesto pasta is a quick and easy vegetarian dish that packs big umami flavors and is perfect for even busy weeknight dinners.
- Simple ingredients - This is a hearty, satisfying pasta dinner made with simple ingredients you can find at any local grocery store.
- Convenience - you can use homemade pesto or your favorite store-bought pesto.
- Fast - You can make this creamy mushroom pesto pasta in just 30 minutes.
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Pasta - I love linguine or other long strand pasta, such as fettuccine or spaghetti, with this mushroom pesto pasta recipe. You could also use spiral pastas, such as fussilli or rotini, as they hold the pesto sauce well. Penne pasta is also a good choice for this recipe.
- Olive oil - Extra virgin olive oil adds some rich flavor right from the start.
- Garlic - 4 garlic cloves may seem like a lot to you, but I think this pesto pasta recipe requires that much. You can, of course, use less garlic if you prefer.
- Mushrooms - Use cremini mushrooms, also known as baby bella mushrooms. You can also substitute white button mushrooms.
- Pesto sauce - You can make fresh pesto from your favorite homemade pesto sauce recipe (try our Spinach Pesto recipe!) or your favorite store-bought jar of basil pesto sauce.
- Vegetable stock - You can also sub chicken stock if you don't need it to be vegetarian.
- Cream - To add a velvety creaminess to the sauce.
- Parmesan cheese - Use some to add flavor and help thicken the sauce while it's cooking. And sprinkle a little on top just before serving.
- Salt and black pepper - Season to taste.
Optional additions - You could also add some cherry tomatoes or sundried tomatoes for more bright pops of color and fresh flavor. If you are not a vegetarian, you could also add chicken or substitute chicken for the mushrooms to make this a chicken pesto pasta dish.
Optional garnishes/serving ideas - Sprinkle some toasted pine nuts and fresh basil leaves on top of each serving. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for some acidity if you like.
Make it dairy free/vegan - Substitute your favorite dairy-free heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese for the full dairy versions to make this a vegan mushroom pesto pasta.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
The full ingredients list and detailed instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here's a photo step-by-step guide that you can refer to as you make this easy recipe.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot according to package instructions, until it's al dente.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook.
4. Add the garlic, stir, and cook.
5. Add the vegetable stock, stir and cook.
6. Add in the cream.
7. Add in the parmesan cheese.
8. Add the pesto sauce. Stir, and cook.
9. Add the cooked pasta, along with a ladle of hot starchy pasta water. Stir to coat the noodles.
10. Season the creamy pesto pasta with salt and pepper.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Absolutely! Simply substitute a vegan pesto; a dairy-free cream, coconut cream, or coconut milk for the heavy cream; and a dairy-free/vegan grated cheese instead of parmesan cheese.
Store leftover mushroom pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days. Reheat in the microwave with a tiny splash of water to revive the sauce.
🍽 Serving ideas
This simple mushroom pesto pasta is a winning weeknight dinner recipe.
Serve it with one or two side dishes, and you've got a memorable 30 minute meal that is truly satisfying!
- Instant Pot Broccoli
- Homemade French Bread
- Broccoli Crunch Salad
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Easy Garlic Parmesan Knots
🍷 🥂 Wine pairings
A rich mushrooms recipe like this can pair with an earthy Pinot Noir. Or pair it with a white wine like an Albariño, Pinot Gris, or a Sauvignon Blanc.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Large pot to cook the pasta
- Large dutch oven or skillet to make the sauce
- Wooden spoon to stir the ingredients for the sauce
- Tongs to toss the pasta and the sauce together
More easy pasta recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Mushroom Pesto Pasta
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup vegetable stock or water
- ½ cup dairy-free heavy cream
- ½ cup pesto
- ¼ cup dairy-free grated parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces linguine
- In a large pot, cook the linguine according to package instructions.
- In a separate large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Then add the mushrooms and stir, cooking for 1 minute. Add the garlic and stir together, sautéing for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and stir, cooking the mushrooms and garlic in the broth for about 1 minute. Add the dairy-free heavy cream and stir. Then sprinkle in the dairy-free grated parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese is mostly melted within the cream.
- Add the pesto and stir into the sauce until well combined.
- When the pasta is done cooking, add it to the sauce in the skillet and toss together to coat all of the pasta. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with extra dairy-free grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.