Love risotto but short on time? Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Risotto is a fast, easy, vegan risotto recipe thanks to your pressure cooker!
Traditional risotto requires lots of hands-on cooking time. Cooked low and slow, with constant stirring, over a stovetop.
Thanks to modern day pressure cookers - i.e. the Instant Pot - you can make vegan mushroom risotto in less time. And, it still turns out as creamy and flavorful as the traditional stovetop preparation!
What's in vegan mushroom risotto?
You don't need a lot of fancy ingredients to make this Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto. You just need:
- Arborio rice (found in the rice section at most grocery stores)
- Cremini mushrooms
- shallots (or a yellow onion will work instead)
- white wine
- vegetable broth
- dairy-free parmesan alternative or nutritional yeast; or parmesan if you don't need it to be dairy-free or vegan
Does risotto need cheese?
Most people think all risotto is cheesy, but it can be made completely without cheese. Vegan risotto can be just as creamy as risotto with cheese. The kind of rice used in risotto, Arborio rice, contains higher starch levels. Thus, the result is a creamier texture once cooked.
In the traditional method of making risotto, the creamy texture is also achieved from slow, constant stirring. In the instant pot, the intense pressure helps release the starches in the Arborio rice, making it extra creamy.
You can make this without cheese and without a dairy-free parmesan alternative. However, if you do want that creamy, velvety, cheesy texture, add a little parmesan or dairy-free parmesan alternative at the end. After you open the lid, sprinkle it in, stir, and enjoy the magic that is instant pot mushroom risotto!
How do you make mushroom risotto in the Instant Pot?
To make this instant pot mushroom risotto, start by heating the broth in a microwave for about 5 minutes. I heat the broth in a large glass bowl in two 2:30 (2 min. 30 second) increments, for a total of 5 minutes.
While it heats up, chop the shallots, mince the garlic, and slice the mushrooms.
- Press SAUTE button on the Instant Pot, and add the butter. Once the butter is melted, add shallots and garlic. Cook the aromatics until they're soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1-3 minutes more.
- Add rice and stir until toasted.
- Pour in the wine and deglaze pot with a wooden spoon. Cook until most of wine is absorbed, just a minute or two, then hit Cancel to turn the Sauté function off. Add warm broth and lemon zest, place lid on Instant Pot, and seal. Set to Manual, High and set time for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot should take about 3-5 minutes to come to pressure.
- When the 5 minutes is done, immediately turn valve to to Quick Release. When all pressure is released and the valve is down, carefully remove lid and immediately stir in your dairy-free parmesan alternative or parmesan cheese, and add peas. Stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
What wine pairs with risotto?
The earthiness of the mushrooms and the fullness of this vegan mushroom risotto dish calls for a fuller-bodied white or earthier red wine. White wines such as an oaky Chardonnay pair beautifully. Or, an Oregon Pinot Noir is an ideal wine pairing for mushroom risotto, as the wine already has an earthy, mushroom quality.
Watch the VIDEO of How to Make Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Risotto
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Healthy 30-Minute Instant Pot Moroccan Chicken
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup (Vegan)
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
- Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Pasta (Dairy-Free)
- Instant Pot BBQ Ribs with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- 4 cups two 14.5 ounce cans low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons shallot finely chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup your fave dairy-free parmesan alternative or freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup peas thaw if frozen
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat broth in the microwave for about 5 minutes* while you chop the shallots, mince the garlic, and slice the mushrooms.
- Press SAUTE button on the Instant Pot, add butter. Once the butter is melted, add shallots and garlic, cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes, then add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme and cook until fragrant, 1-3 minutes more. Add rice and stir until toasted, 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and deglaze pot. Cook until most of wine is absorbed, then hit Cancel to turn the Sauté function off.
- Add warm broth and lemon zest, place lid on Instant Pot, and seal. Set to Manual, High and set time for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot should take about 3-5 minutes to come to pressure.
- When the 5 minutes is done, immediately turn valve to to Quick Release. When all pressure is released and the valve is down, carefully remove lid and immediately stir in dairy-free parmesan alternative (or parmesan cheese) and add peas. Stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- Storage: Risotto will keep well in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.