Need a quick appetizer, side dish, snack, or Game Day food? Make frozen onion rings in the air fryer! They are inexpensive, quick, easy, and delicious.
We all have those frozen foods we keep on hand for various reasons. Just because I make French fries from scratch does not mean I want to make them from scratch all the time, you know? And frozen cut vegetables are great for when I don't have the prep time to do all the chopping, dicing, and mincing myself.
And while I love homemade onion rings from scratch, they just aren't happening on a crazy Tuesday night after a looooong day of work and playing shuttle for kids' activities. But frozen onion rings, I can totally manage!
Especially if you've got an air fryer. This easy air fryer recipe is a great way to whip up the best onion rings in less time.
🌟 Why this recipe works
This 1-ingredient recipe (2-ingredient recipe if you count cooking spray!) is an amazing side dish or snack when you need to hit the EASY button of cooking.
- Fast: onion rings air fry in 10 minutes or less!
- Easy: open the bag of onion rings, start air frying, then serve and eat!
- No mess: not a lot of dishes to do, except for the air fryer basket or tray.
- Great appetizer, side dish, or snack: crispy onion rings are a great side dish to almost any meal, and make for a great quick & easy snack!
And while these quick snacks are definitely not diet food, most fresh onion rings and frozen onion rings are still better-for-you than what you'd find at a fast-food restaurant.
🛒 What are the best frozen onion rings for the air fryer?
You can use your favorite brand of onion rings for this recipe. Some of our family's favorites include:
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches (especially smaller air fryers). It's best to air fry food in a single layer, when possible. It's okay if some overlap a little.
✅ How to cook frozen onion rings in the air fryer
Making delicious onion rings in the air fryer couldn't be easier! Here's a quick visual step-by-step of how to air fry onion rings. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Spray the inside of your air fryer basket or air fryer tray with olive oil cooking spray. Be sure to choose a neutral oil spray that does not have any lecithin as that reportedly has the potential to damage your air fryer.
- Place a single layer of onion rings at the bottom of the air fryer basket or tray.
- Air fry at 350°F for 4-5 minutes. Shake the basket or flip the onion rings over, and air fry for another 3-5 minutes, just until they are crispy and golden brown.
Remember that every air fryer is different. Some may need more cooking time than others.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
A 14-ounce package of onion rings takes about 10 minutes total: 4-5 minutes on each side. Remember that every air fryer is different, and it also depends on the size of your air fryer. You may need to work in batches, or you may need to air fry food a little longer, depending on your air fryer.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 or 3 days. See below for the best way to reheat onion rings, since they can get soggy in the fridge.
Place onion rings in a single layer in the air fryer basket or tray and air fry at 350°F for 2-3 minutes, just until heated through and crispy again.
🍽 Serving ideas
Serve air fryer onion rings with your favorite sauce. We love ketchup, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, and our dairy-free ranch dressing.
These are an easy side dish to go with your dinner main dish, like Instant Pot Chicken Thighs, Instant Pot Turkey Chili, or BBQ Bacon Burgers.
Need a tasty, easy Game Day menu? Some of our favorite recipes for tailgating include Air Fryer Frozen Pizza, Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket, or Tex-Mex Vegetarian Nachos.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? You can use any regular sized air fryer. We use either our Ninja Foodi Deluxe XL pressure cooker/air fryer or our Ninja Foodi Dual Zone Air Fryer.
More air fryer recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Frozen Onion Rings in Air Fryer
- cooking spray
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen onion rings
- Spray the inside of your air fryer basket or tray with a cooking spray that is air-fryer friendly (see notes).
- Place frozen onion rings in an even single layer in the air fryer basket or on the trays. It's okay if some of the rings overlap, but try not to stack the onion rings on top of one another. If necessary, work in batches.
- Air fry at 350°F for 4-5 minutes. Shake the basket or flip the onion rings over on the tray. Air fryer for another 4-5 minutes until cooked to golden brown crispy perfection. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
Leave a Reply