This easy recipe for Caprese Crostini makes mouthwatering, delicious appetizers. They're the perfect party bite, with roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and sliced basil leaves.
Crostini are the popular Italian appetizers for good reason. There is such a variety of crostini toppings, and one of my favorites is to top it with classic Italian caprese ingredients.
The classic combo of fresh tomatoes plus slices of fresh mozzarella plus fresh basil is simply mouthwatering! This is also a beautiful appetizer that looks gorgeous on any party food table.
And you don't have to wait for a special occasion to make these. We love to enjoy this Caprese Crostini as a side dish for weeknight dinners as well!
🌟 Why this recipe works
This Caprese Crostini recipe is a winning dish that's a true crowd pleaser, for so many reasons.
- Easy: the directions are easy to follow, even for beginning home cooks. I've included step-by-step photos below to help you along the way.
- Fast: After baking the crostini, you can whip up this delicious appetizer in just 10-15 minutes.
- Perfect party appetizer: These bite-sized apps are packed with big Caprese flavors. They're easy-to-eat finger food that look beautiful as part of any party spread.
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Bread: A loaf of crusty bread is ideal for crostini. A baguette is the perfect size as each slice of bread is small and bite-sized.
- Olive oil: Use your favorite extra-virgin olive oil to dip the bread slices into.
- Tomatoes: small ripe tomatoes work best for this caprese crostini recipe. I love using grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, but slices of roma tomatoes work too.
- Cheese: Thinly slice small mozzarella balls.
- Basil: thinly sliced sweet basil leaf adds so much amazing aroma and flavor to this appetizer!
- Sea Salt: A sprinkling of sea salt to finish each crostini helps heighten the flavors of each tasty bite.
Optional: balsamic vinegar.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
- Dip one side of each side of bread into a shallow bowl with a bit of olive oil, just enough to cover the bread surface.
- Sprinkle minced garlic evenly over the tops of the baguette slices. Then bake at 400°F for about 10 minutes, just until the tops and sides are slightly golden brown.
3. Top each crostini with slices of tomatoes and mozzarella slices.
4. Sprinkle a bit of the chopped basil leaf on each bread slice. Then sprinkle some sea salt over each slice.
Optional: Drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar over each Caprese crostini before serving.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This dish is inspired by insalata Caprese -- or, Caprese salad. It's an Italian salad that is made with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil, salt, and olive oil. The colors are similar to the colors of the Italian flag: red, white, and green. These ingredients and flavors are often used in other types of food, such as pizza, sandwiches, and this crostini!
These Caprese crostini are best served warm, immediately after they are assembled. However, you can store the baked garlic bread separate from the toppings, in a separate airtight container. Then simply assemble just before you are ready to serve.
🍽 Serving ideas
There are many variations you can try with Caprese Crostini:
- Add avocado slices to make an avocado Caprese crostini.
- For big umami, add mushrooms to make mushroom Caprese crostini.
Serve these crostini as party appetizers or a dinner side dish. It would go well with any of these main courses:
🍷 🥂 Wine pairings
Caprese Crostini would pair well with either a crisp white wine or a light-bodied, fruit-forward red wine. Try enjoying this dish with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or a glass of Gamay or Pinot Noir.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Baking sheet: a standard half-sheet baking sheet to bake the crostini
- Cutting board and knife: you'll need a study cutting board and sharp knife to slice the tomatoes, cheeses, and chop the basil.
More Italian inspired recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
- 1 baguette
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese balls (the snack size)
- 2 Tablespoons finely sliced fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon course sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the olive oil in a shallow bowl that can fit a slice of baguette. Dip just one side of each baguette lightly into the olive oil, then place onto the prepared lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle minced garlic over tops of dipped baguette slices. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes, or until the edges turn a light golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Top each slice with a few tomatoes and sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle a little fresh basil over each.
- Sprinkle a few pieces of coarse sea salt over the tops of each.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.