This Sausage Tortellini Soup is warm, comforting, and filling.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my policy page for details.
This weather is so wacky. It's currently sunny but cold. Last week it was snowing. And there's snow in the forecast for a few days from now. What is going ON, Mother Nature??
Plus, I've got one kid home sick (the other was sick yesterday too). So while mentally I am SO ready for spring (and these bright, citrusy Mini Lime Tarts!!), physically we are still in the midst of what looks to be a looooon winter.
Cold weather and winter colds means it's time for more SOUP!
Sausage Tortellini Soup
I've been making different versions of Sausage Tortellini Soup over the years, but I've finally got it to a recipe that I can share with all of you.
This Sausage Tortellini Soup is tomato-based, which gives you an extra little kick of Vitamin C.
The mix of veggies, meat, beans, and pasta create a hearty, satisfying soup that can warm you up on the coldest of nights. It really fills you up!
I LOVE this sausage tortellini soup so much. I made it for lunch the other day, then we all had leftovers for dinner that night. Hubby approves, and he can be a bit particular when it comes to soups!
Ingredients and Substitutions
This soup is made with items that you most likely already have in your pantry and refrigerator or freezer. I have used both frozen cheese tortellini and fresh cheese tortellini from the deli aisle. Both are fantastic, and I've included cooking times for both in the recipe below.
This soup is also so easy to customize to suit your personal taste preferences.
For instance, I used pinto beans in my soup. You could easily substitute with cannelini beans or kidney beans.
Even though the soup is called Sausage Tortellini Soup, you could use ground turkey instead of Italian sausage.
For an extra hit of healthy vegetables, try adding some kale, spinach, or cut up zucchini to this soup.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Thai-Inspired Vegan Red Curry Pasta
- Air Fryer Paprika Chicken
- Healthy 30-Minute Instant Pot Moroccan Chicken
- Slow Cooker Meatball Soup Recipe
- One-Pan Bacon & Shrimp Pasta (dairy-free)
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 cans chicken broth or vegetable broth (14.5 oz cans)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 2.5 - 3 cups tortellini, uncooked
- 1 can cannelini or pinto beans, drained
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add diced carrots, celery, onions, and garlic, and sweat for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Sprinkle oregano, salt, and pepper, and flour; stir vegetables until flour blends in. Add Italian sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon. Sauté until just cooked, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, and tomato paste. Stir and heat for 1-2 minutes until tomato paste is fully blended with other liquids.
- Stir in tortellini and beans. Heat soup over medium-high until tortellini is cooked: for frozen tortellini, about 7-8 minutes; for fresh tortellini, about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately and garnish with chopped parsley.
Truth be told, I could eat hot soup no matter what the weather. I just love that warm, soothing feeling that nourishing hot soup brings. But this Sausage Tortellini Soup is especially nourishing on these chilly winter days.