These Antipasto Skewers are an elegant appetizer to bring to any party!
Let's face it: whether you're at a casual gathering or a fancy affair, people love food on a stick. I'm pretty sure there's some scientific data out there that backs it up.
And what's not to love? Skewered foods are excellent party dishes. They're easy to transport, and easy to eat.
If you want to wow guests with a delicious appetizer that's both elegant AND fun, try my recipe for these Antipasto Skewers. It's also easy to customize for guests with all sorts of dietary restrictions.
What Ingredients Are in Antipasto Skewer Appetizers?
These easy Italian appetizers are delightful bites packed with flavor. It's like taking ingredients of a classic Mediterranean pasta salad and skewering them.
To make these Antipasto Skewers, you'll need a package of wooden skewers. Then, you can thread through your choice of the following ingredients:
- Pepperoni slices
- Salami slices
- Cooked cheese tortellini
- Kalamata olives
- Green olives
- Artichoke hearts
- Marinated red, orange, and yellow peppers
- Sliced grilled zucchini and/or yellow squash
- Marinated feta cheese
For the antipasto skewers pictured here, I used: pepperoni slices, cooked tortellini, Kalamata olives, green olives, artichoke hearts, and red peppers.
Make-Ahead Party Appetizers
Antipasto skewers are excellent party food to make ahead. Simply cook the tortellini ahead of time. Gather all of the ingredients you want to include in your antipasto skewers in a large bowl. Then marinate in olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, dried basil, and crushed red pepper flakes for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free, and Dairy-Free Options
Entertaining these days can be stressful and confusing. With so many different dietary restrictions, this Antipasto Skewer recipe is one that is easy to customize for your guests!
MAKE IT VEGETARIAN: simply leave off the pepperoni.
MAKE IT VEGAN/DAIRY-FREE: use a non-dairy tortellini, like my favorite Kite Hill tortellini (I buy mine at Whole Foods Market).
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: You can substitute any gluten-free pasta like shells or penne. Also consider using a gluten-free ravioli.
- 1 16 oz - 20 oz pkg cheese tortellini (the kind in the deli section)
- 1 4 oz pkg sliced pepperoni
- 1 6-8 ounce jar pitted kalamata olives
- 1 6-8 ounce jar artichoke hearts in oil
- 1 8-16 oz jar red peppers in oil
- 1 8 oz jar pitted green olives
- 3-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp crushed red peppers
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except for the pepperoni (artichoke hearts, olives, peppers, and any other veggies you are using).
- Add cooked tortellini to the bowl, then pour in olive oil and sprinkle dried basil, salt, and pepper. Gently coat all ingredients by mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Thread ingredients on skewers in your preferred order. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.