Thank you to the Mushroom Council for sponsoring this post. Make the pledge to be a blenditarian and share what drives you to do better!
Looking for some low carb lettuce wraps, that are also keto and dairy-free? Try these Teriyaki Mushroom Sausage Low Carb Lettuce Wraps. It's a tasty appetizer that can also work for a full meal!
Are there certain appetizers that you habitually order at restaurants?
For us, at certain restaurants, it's lettuce wraps. They're so delicious, and everyone loves them!
While I love lettuce wrap appetizers at restaurants, when dining at home, I prefer to enjoy them as a main course. And if you love lettuce wraps as much as we do, this recipe is for you!
Teriyaki Mushroom Sausage Low Carb Keto Lettuce Wraps
When we're making low carb lettuce wraps at home, I prefer to use a blend of mushrooms and ground meat versus a large amount of just meat. There's actually a term for this. Are you ready?
It's Blenditarian - someone who uses finely chopped mushrooms with meat to create more delicious, nutritious, and sustainable meals. Hey, that's me!
I first heard this term last year, when Portland-based Chef Luis Escorcia served a delicious Catalan Blended Burger at Altabira Tavern, as part of the Blended Burger Project. It was SO tasty and satisfying, with layers of flavor compared to typical all beef burgers.
Mushrooms as the Main Event
So the real star of my homemade low carb lettuce wraps are the mushrooms.
As you can tell by the photos above and below, there are more than twice as many mushrooms as there is sausage meat. I love how mushrooms can help save money by adding bulk and flavor to a dish, thus requiring less of the traditionally more expensive meat.
I personally love cooking with cremini mushrooms; I think they add such nice depth of flavor. But you can also use white button mushrooms if you'd like.
Regardless of which you choose, mushrooms not only add a ton of rich, earthy flavor, but they are also fat-free, cholesterol free, low in calories, and packed with vitamin D, B vitamins, antioxidants, and potassium.
I love cooking with these mighty mushrooms, you guys! Do you, too?
I try to chop up the mushrooms to the same consistency that the meat will be. This allows them all to cook up evenly together.
After the veggie prep and mixing up the quick sauce, this dish comes together easily.
Simply sauté the mushrooms and sausage together for few minutes in a skillet. Then add in the red peppers, garlic, and ginger; sauté for another couple of minutes and then stir in the teriyaki sauce mixture. All that's left to do after that is assemble the lettuce wraps!
More mushroom recipes
Teriyaki Mushroom Sausage Low Carb Lettuce Wraps
Mushroom Sausage & Veggie Filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-¼ cup cremini or white button mushrooms finely chopped
- ¼ pound mild Italian ground sausage
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1" slice of ginger peeled, then minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- ¾ cup cucumber chopped
- 1 small carrot skin peeled off, and then your choice of julienned, peeled, or grated
- 8-10 lettuce leaves use either green or red leaf lettuce, butter lettuce, or romaine lettuce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Teriyaki Sauce ingredients (rice wine vinegar through lime juice) until well blended. Set aside.In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.Add mushrooms and sausage and sauté for about 3-4 minutes until you no longer see any pink from the sausage, breaking up the sausage into little pieces as you stir. Add red peppers, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until the garlic and ginger have softened. Slowly pour in the teriyaki sauce mixture over the filling and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed into the filling. Assemble lettuce leaves on a plate and spoon a few tablespoons of filling into each one or allow each person to assemble their own. Top with chopped cucumber and carrots. Eat up!
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
So what do you think of blending mushrooms and ground meat together to make delicious meals? If you're up for it, then join me and make the pledge to be a blenditarian. If you sign up to take the monthly Blenditarian Challenge, you also have the chance to win $250!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.