This is the easiest slow cooker pulled pork recipe! It only requires two ingredients, and cooks in your slow cooker during the day.
Do you use your slow cooker often?
If you enjoy meals that require just a few ingredients, almost no hands-on work, and slow cooked meals that make your house smell amazing, then you will love this slow cooker pulled pork recipe!
Slow cooker pulled pork
I've made this slow cooker pulled pork recipe dozens of times in my life. It's so good! Thanks to the slow cooker, the pulled pork comes out so tender and flavorful.
You only need TWO ingredients to make this pulled pork:
- pork shoulder
- either Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper
Now, I'm not normally a fan of soda. In fact, I'm actually anti-soda (and diet sodas are the worst!) and we never have it in our house. However, I do enjoy making this recipe with either a 20-ounce Coke or Dr. Pepper because the flavors the soda adds to the meat while also tenderizing the meat are just wonderful.
What is the best cut of meat for pulled pork?
I prefer to use pork shoulder when making pulled pork. It comes out nice and tender in the slow cooker and is easy to shred with two forks when it's done cooking.
How do you serve pulled pork?
You could serve this pulled pork in many ways:
- between buns as a pulled pork sandwich
- on top of a salad with your favorite veggies
- try enjoying them as loaded pulled pork nachos (perfect for game day!)
- for parties, you could serve them as appetizers, like my Pulled Pork Sliders and Slaw recipe
What side dishes go well with pulled pork?
Pulled pork goes well with many different side dishes, depending on how you choose to serve it as an entree. We like to enjoy pulled pork with:
- Corn with Basil Lime Butter (pictured above)
- Fiesta Potato Smashers
- Scalloped Potatoes au Gratin
- a big leafy green salad
- Spiralized Potatoes with Bacon
- Avocado Corn Salad
What wine pairs well with pulled pork?
The big, bold flavors that come out while slow cooking pulled pork call for a fruit-forward red wine. Try pairing this dish with a rich Merlot or spicy Tempranillo.
More slow cooker recipes
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Loaded Nachos
- Cranberry Meatballs Recipe
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef Recipe
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker Honey Bourbon Meatballs
- 2 lbs. pork shoulder cut into chunks
- salt & pepper to taste I used about ¼ teaspoon of each; doesn't take much
- 20- ounces Coca-Cola OR Dr. Pepper
- Place the cut up chunks of pork shoulder into the slow cooker. Season with salt & pepper.
- Pour the 20 oz bottle of Coke or Dr. Pepper over the pork.
- Close the slow cooker lid, set it to low, and let cook for 8-10 hours. I cooked mine for 9.
- Once meat is thoroughly cooked, remove and place cooked pork in a large bowl. Shred the pork with two forks. Meat should be very tender and shred apart easily. Transfer to a bowl and serve as you wish (see notes and full post for serving suggestions)
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This recipe was first published on Urban Bliss Life on March 19, 2010. It was refreshed with new helpful content and photos on April 8, 2020.