Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are so easy to make. They're a fast, easy, delicious and decadent chocolatey treat!
A pantry staple that all baked goods lovers should have: boxed cake mix.
But if you're craving the ultimate chocolate dessert, I think you'll love these Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies with Chocolate Chips!
🌟 Why you'll love these cookies
If you like chocolate cake and you like chocolate chip cookies, then you'll love these cookies! It's like two fave desserts in one.
- This is an EASY, 5-ingredient recipe.
- You can make a batch of these cookies in under 30 minutes.
- They're rich and fudgy, cakey, and a yummy mix of cake and cookie.
- There is no need to chill the dough for this cookie recipe. That means you can eat them sooner!
🛒 Ingredient notes
Cake mix - Use your favorite store-bought or homemade cake mix. I love the rich flavor that Devil's Food Cake chocolate cake mix adds to these cookies.
Eggs - Be sure to bring your eggs to room temperature before mixing into the batter. You can simply take them out of the refrigerator and place them on the kitchen counter about 20-30 minutes before you start mixing. This will ensure a smoother, cleaner batter. Cold eggs "shock" the batter and don't incorporate as evenly into batter.
Butter - Use unsalted butter and be sure to allow the butter to cool to the touch after you melt it, before using it in the batter.
Chocolate chips - You can use all semi-sweet chocolate chips. Or, try using a combo of half semi-sweet and half dark chocolate chips. That adds even more richness and depth to these cookies. Feel free to add white chocolate chips or espresso chips, too.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips, just until well combined.
Gently fold the chocolate chips into the batter until distributed evenly.
Use a medium cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop out the dough and place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes for chewy cookies, or 11 to 13 minutes for crispy cookies, rotating the racks halfway through so the cookies are baked evenly.
Allow the chocolate cake mix cookies to cool on the pan for 2-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
❓ Recipe FAQs
If you want really chewy cookies, go ahead and chill them in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. This step is completely optional, but it does help you make chewier cookies.
Allow the cookies to cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. The flavor will be best if eaten within 3 or 4 days.
🍪 More cookie recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake mix, eggs, melted & slightly cooled butter, and vanilla just until well combined.
- Gently fold the chocolate chips into the batter until distributed evenly.
- Use a medium cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop out the dough and place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, rotating the racks halfway through so the cookies are baked evenly. Allow to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This post was originally published on July 14, 2009. It was updated with all new photos, updated recipe, and more helpful baking tips and republished on July 5, 2022.