This shrimp with tortellini and peas recipe is dairy-free, but you can make it with full dairy ingredients as well! It's a hearty, satisfying seafood pasta recipe that's perfect for busy weeknights.
Seafood pasta is one of the most delicious combinations on the planet.
And if you're dairy-free like me, you don't have to skip out on this delicious cozy comfort food!
Shrimp tortellini with peas is an easy recipe that you can whip up in less than 30 minutes. That makes it the perfect dinner for busy weeknights. And it's also luxurious and restaurant quality for a cozy date night in. It's like your favorite restaurant's shrimp tortellini alfredo without the dairy!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
When I want a luxurious, fast lunch or "fancy" delicious meal for dinner in a hurry, this tortellini with shrimp and peas recipe always comes to the rescue!
- Easy - This pasta recipe is so easy to make at home. A great recipe for beginning home cooks!
- Fast - You can whip up this tasty shrimp scampi tortellini in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights!
- Simple - This is a very simple recipe that calls for just a few ingredients.
- Delicious - This easy pasta dish is the epitome of restaurant-quality comfort food in the comfort of your own home. It's packed with a ton of flavor in a creamy sauce, with juicy shrimp and complementing textures in each bite.
🍤 Ingredient notes
- Dairy-free tortellini - It's a lot easier to find a package of tortellini that's dairy-free these days compared to a few years ago. This dairy-free tortellini is my fave, and I usually find it at my local Whole Foods Market or New Seasons Market. You can also buy it online.
- Shrimp - You can use fresh shrimp or frozen shrimp. If using frozen, be sure to thaw the shrimp before cooking. For size, I use large shrimp (31/40 size), but you can use jumbo shrimp or prawns.
- Dairy-free butter - This is my favorite dairy-free butter that is available in sticks - which makes it perfect for baking and cooking - and as a spread.
- Dairy-free cream - I am in LOVE with this dairy-free heavy cream alternative. It's super rich and creamy, and tastes just like full dairy heavy cream.
- Nutritional yeast - This is a staple in my dairy-free cooking! Nutritional yeast adds a nice depth of nutty flavor to the dish, and also works to slightly thicken up the sauce.
- Peas - You can toss in frozen peas straight from the freezer since they cook up quickly.
Optional garnishes and mix-ins: red pepper flakes, fresh spinach, chopped fresh parsley, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
💡 For more dairy-free alternatives, be sure to check out my list of Dairy-Free Favorites for Cooking and Baking.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
A full list of ingredients and the detailed instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here's a visual step-by-step guide with photos of the process to help you make the most delicious tortellini shrimp dish!
- Start by cooking the pasta according to package instructions. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet or large pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes, just until the garlic has softened and is fragrant.
3. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook.
4. Lower the heat to medium heat, then add the dairy-free butter and once the butter is melted, add the dairy-free heavy cream alternative. Stir the ingredient together and allow the sauce to come to a low boil.
5. Stir in the nutritional yeast flakes.
6. Stir in the peas.
7. Add the cooked tortellini and stir to coat the pasta with the sauce.
8. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil and dairy-free parmesan alternative, if desired. Sprinkle some red pepper flakes for a little heat if you wish.
Serve and enjoy!
🥗 Serving ideas
- Air Fryer (Ninja Foodi) Broccoli
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Broccoli Crunch Salad
🍷 Best wine pairings for shrimp tortellini
If you're looking for the best wine pairings for shrimp pasta, try serving it with a Sauvignon Blanc, a Vinho Verde, Pinot Grigio, or dry Riesling.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Absolutely! Yes, you can make this recipe using regular cheese tortellini, full dairy butter, cream, and parmesan cheese. The measurements of each ingredient will be the same as listed in the recipe for the dairy-free ingredients.
Allow the food to cool, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Yes. Place a serving in a microwave-safe bowl, add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of water over the pasta, then microwave in 30-second increments until heated through. Stir the pasta in-between microwaving increments.
More shrimp pasta recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Dairy-Free Shrimp Tortellini with Peas
- 9 ounces dairy-free tortellini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups medium to large shrimp
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free butter
- 1 cup dairy-free heavy cream alternative
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 cup peas
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade basil leaves, optional
- dairy-free parmesan alternative, optional
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- Add the olive oil to a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes, just until the garlic has softened and is fragrant.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the size and quantity of your shrimp. You just want the shrimp to gain some color, but not cook the whole way through, as it will continue cooking during the next steps.
- Lower the heat to medium, then add the dairy-free butter and once the butter is melted, add the dairy-free heavy cream alternative. Continue to stir the ingredients together.
- Then stir in the nutritional yeast flakes until the flakes have blended well into the sauce.
- Stir in the peas.
- Add the cooked tortellini and stir to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil and dairy-free parmesan alternative, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.