Need a hearty, satisfying, and delicious breakfast on-the-go? These Chocolate Protein Overnight Oats are packed with protein, rich chocolate flavor, and are the perfect make-ahead breakfast to fuel you for the day.
Hey there, fellow superheroes juggling the chaos of life!
I know the struggle of trying to find that perfect balance between comfort food and staying healthy on a busy schedule. So let me share with you one of my go-to recipes that not only satisfies my chocolate cravings but also fuels my body with the goodness it needs.
And these Chocolate Protein Overnight Oats are the ultimate game-changer for busy mornings! With a delightful blend of rich cocoa flavor, protein-packed goodness, and the ease of grab-and-go mornings, this is a healthier breakfast recipe your whole family will love.
🌟 Why this recipe works
Let's break down why this overnight oats recipe is amazing into some tasty bullet points:
- Protein power - With high protein and healthy fats, these oats keep you fuller for longer. Ideal for keeping up with the energy demands of chasing after little ones and conquering the business world.
- Guilt-free chocolate fix- We all crave a chocolatey treat now and then, and these oats give you that fix without the added guilt. Chocolate protein powder and additional optional cocoa powder both add rich flavor without piling on the calories or sugar.
- Time-saving - Mornings are a whirlwind, and finding time to cook a nutritious breakfast can be mission impossible. Enter overnight oats! Prep the night before, and voilà – a delicious, ready-to-eat breakfast awaits you in the morning.
- Customizable - The beauty of overnight oats lies in their versatility. You can customize the toppings and mix-ins to suit your taste buds. Go crazy with nuts, fresh fruit, or a dollop of nut butter for an extra flavor boost.
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Almond milk - While you can use any type of milk in this recipe, we love the dairy-free option and flavor of almond milk.
- Oats - Use old fashioned oats, also known as rolled oats and old-fashioned rolled oats, for the best texture. Steel cut oats result in chewier overnight oats, and both instant oats and quick oats tend to result in mushy textures.
- Chocolate protein powder - Use your favorite chocolate protein powder to add light chocolate flavor and extra protein to power your breakfast oats.
- Honey - You can use your favorite honey or vegan honey.
- Flaxseed - Ground flaxseeds add lots of nutrients and vitamins, and also help thicken up the creamy oats. They're a great source of protein, grams of fiber, and antioxidants.
- Cocoa powder (optional) - if you want a richer chocolate flavor, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder. If your protein powder is already super chocolately, however, feel free to skip this ingredient.
- Mini chocolate chips (optional) - I'm putting this down as optional because maybe you don't want chocolate chips with your breakfast? But trust me: even just a little bit adds delicious additional chocolate flavor and nice crunch to every bite.
Substitutions and additional toppings:
- Substitute any milk or non-dairy milk. These overnight chocolate oats are great with oat milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, soy milk, and regular dairy milk.
- Chocolate lover? Want more chocolate? Use chocolate milk!
- Substitute agave nectar or maple syrup for honey.
- If you want to add sweetness, you can add a small amount of brown sugar.
- You can substitute chia seeds for flaxseeds.
- If you don't have chocolate protein powder, you can make this a vanilla protein overnight oat by using your fave vanilla protein powder.
- Add vanilla extract to round out and balance the rich chocolate flavors.
- Add cacao nibs for more crunch, or substitute them for the optional mini chocolate chips.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
The full list of ingredients and full recipe with detailed instructions can be found in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. For all of you fellow visual learners, here are step-by-step photos of this easy overnight oats recipe!
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Combine ingredients.
- Stir in the optional additional cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour even amounts divided between two single serving, 12-ounce mason jars. Cover with airtight lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Of course! If you prefer to skip the protein powder, you can still enjoy the chocolatey goodness. The oats will keep you full, thanks to their natural fiber content.
Absolutely! While overnight oats are usually enjoyed cold, warming them up is a great way to enjoy a warm, hearty breakfast. Pop them in the microwave for a minute or warm them on the stovetop.
Store individual servings in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
🍽 Serving ideas
Wondering how to jazz up your Chocolate Protein Overnight Oats? Here are a few ideas:
- Banana nut bliss - Top your oats with sliced bananas and a sprinkle of chopped nuts. The combination of creamy banana and crunchy nuts is simply divine.
- Berry burst parfait - Add a handful of fresh strawberries, blueberries, and or raspberries, or a drizzle of berry compote, for a burst of fruity goodness. Place in a glass jar between layers of your favorite greek yogurt. It's like dessert for breakfast!
- Peanut butter paradise - If you're a peanut butter lover (who isn't?), swirl in a spoonful of creamy peanut butter. The marriage of chocolate and peanut butter is a match made in breakfast heaven. You could also use almond butter or sunflower butter.
- Coconut dream: Sprinkle shredded coconut flakes on top for a tropical twist. It's like a mini-vacation for your taste buds.
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
More easy breakfast recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Chocolate Protein Overnight Oats
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup chocolate protein powder
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (optional, for more chocolate flavor and color)
- 2 teaspoons mini chocolate chips (optional)
- sliced bananas, blueberries (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients - the oats through flaxseed - until well combined. If including cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips, you can add them now too.
- Divide into two mason jars. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Top with mini chocolate chips, sliced bananas, and/or blueberries when ready to enjoy.
- You can substitute chia seeds for the flaxseed.
- Substitute honey for the maple syrup.
- Use your favorite non-dairy milk, such as almond milk, instead of regular milk.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.