These Garlic Butter Chicken Bites with asparagus are a one-pan, family-friendly dinner. It's a 30-minute meal that's perfect for those busy weeknights (we all know about those!) and easy to adapt to your family's personal tastebuds.
It's always good to have a handful of easy chicken recipes on hand. Some of my favorite chicken dinner recipes include this fast and versatile Instant Pot Salsa Chicken, this flavorful and healthy Instant Pot Moroccan Chicken, and this super family-friendly, freezer-friendly Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken.
This recipe for Garlic Butter Chicken Bites is a classic with a little Asian flavor - soy! It's fast - make it in under 30 minutes! Plus you make everything in one pan, which means less to clean up. And it's a full meal deal: you've got your protein and vegetables in one!
What you need to make this recipe
You need a large skillet to make this dish. I highly recommend a cast-iron skillet, as it heats and cooks evenly. And I swear there's something about cast-iron that just makes chicken taste even better! If you don't have a cast-iron skillet you can use any large skillet.
In addition to the cast-iron skillet, you'll need:
- cutting board for meat - it's a good idea to have a cutting board that you specifically use for meat only. This helps avoid cross-contamination between raw meat and other ingredients. You'll use this meat cutting board to chop the chicken.
- cutting board for vegetables - be sure to use a separate cutting board to trim the asparagus and mince the garlic and herbs.
- chef's knife - to cut the ingredients. If you are using one knife for everything, be sure to use it for the vegetables first, and then the chicken. Or wash the knife well with soap and water in between chopping the chicken and then the vegetables.
- wooden spoon - to stir the ingredients as they cook
- tongs - to transfer the asparagus to and from the skillet.
- plate - to transfer the chicken to while you cook the asparagus
Gather & Prep Your Ingredients
Gather up and prep your ingredients to make this dish!
- Chop the chicken breasts.
- Trim and wash the asparagus.
- Slice the lemons.
- Chop the herbs.
- Mince the garlic.
- Measure out the oil, soy sauce, and butter.
Ready to rock? Let's start cooking!
How to make this garlic butter chicken bites recipe
Making this dinner dish is as easy as 1-2-3! Here are the steps plus some extra tips. Find the printable instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Step 1 - Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add half of the butter, half of the garlic cloves, and half of the soy sauce, then half of the basil and parsley. Stir and cook until all sides of the chicken pieces are browned. This usually takes about 4 to 5 minutes, depending on your chicken and how you have cut the pieces. Transfer the cooked chicken from the skillet to a plate and set aside.
Step 2 - Lower the heat to medium and add the chicken broth plus the remaining butter, soy sauce, and garlic cloves to your skillet. Stir, then add in the asparagus. Sauté until the asparagus is cooked through. This takes about 2 minutes for thin asparagus, and about 3 to 4 minutes for thick asparagus. As soon as the asparagus has turned a lovely deeper green and is softer and cooked through to your liking, return the chicken to the skillet.
Step 3 - Allow the chicken to cook with the asparagus for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Sprinkle the remaining basil and parsley over the dish. Serve immediately.
This recipe includes instructions for cooking asparagus to complete the dish. However, you can also substitute broccoli or broccolini using the same cooking instructions. You may need to adjust the cooking times slightly.
You can also cook this dish with earthy mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, or green beans. If you are using any of these vegetables instead of asparagus, be sure to adjust your cooking time as they all cook faster than asparagus.
For any and all substitutions, be sure to watch the vegetables carefully as they cook.
What wine pairs well with garlic butter chicken bites
Most light- to medium-bodied, dry white wines with medium- to high-acidity would drink beautifully with this chicken dish.
Consider serving a dry Riesling, a crisp Sauvignon Blanc, or an Albariño with this recipe.
Meal Planning Ideas
This chicken recipe is PERFECT for meal planning!
Here are some ideas for inspiration on different ways you can enjoy this dish throughout the week!
- DINNER IDEA: Serve it with rice for dinner.
- LUNCH IDEA: Fill pita bread with the chicken and add some lettuce and cilantro to enjoy as a pita sandwich for lunch.
- DINNER IDEA: Serve over linguine, fettucine, or spaghetti, add some light cream to create a thicker sauce, and enjoy as a pasta dinner.
- LUNCH IDEA: Toss some of the chicken and asparagus in with quick-cooking ramen noodles for a fast and tasty ramen lunch!
Yes! You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts in this recipe. Make sure you cut the pieces into equal sizes to ensure they cook up evenly.
If you are allergic to soy or are avoiding soy in your diet, you can use coconut aminos instead.
More easy chicken recipes
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo
- Air Fryer Paprika Chicken
- Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing (CPK copycat recipe)
Garlic Butter Chicken Bites
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into small 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- ¼ cup soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, divided
- 1 bunch of thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- lemon slices for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add half of the butter, half of the garlic cloves, and half of the soy sauce, then half of the basil and parsley. Stir and cook until all sides of the chicken pieces are browned. Transfer from the skillet to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add the chicken broth plus the remaining butter, soy sauce, and garlic cloves. Stir, then add in the asparagus. Sauté until the asparagus is cooked through. As soon as the asparagus has turned a lovely deeper green and is softer and cooked through, return the chicken to the skillet.
- Allow the chicken to cook with the asparagus for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining basil and parsley over the dish. Serve.
- Use coconut aminos instead of soy.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- Substitute broccoli, broccolini, or green beans for asparagus if you wish.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.