This Sweet Potato Pie with Graham Cracker Crust recipe is easy to make and so delicious. It's a great holiday pie for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any fall or winter gathering!
When the holiday season approaches, that means it's also time for some delicious pie!
From apple pie to pumpkin pie, there are so many different pie recipes to make for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and every fall and winter gathering in between. For Thanksgiving, we love making these Mini Pecan Pies, Pumpkin Cream Cheese Rolls, and Apple Pie Bars.
When we want an untraditional holiday pie, we make this Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie.
But there are times when only a classic Sweet Potato Pie recipe will do. This easy recipe has a crunchy graham cracker crust and thick sweet potato pie filling. It's perfect with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream.
🌟 Why this recipe works
This homemade sweet potato pie recipe is a keeper! I hope you'll love it and make it again and again.
- Easy - This is a very easy sweet potato pie recipe with easy-to-follow steps. Whether you are a professional baker or a beginning baker making your first pie, I have confidence that you can make this recipe!
- Simple - The recipe calls for simple ingredients that are easy to find in any grocery store.
- Delicious - The crunchy, sweet graham cracker crust and pillowy soft sweet potato filling are a delectable match made in heaven. This best sweet potato pie recipe is also not too sweet, but rather has a perfect blend of spices and lovely balance of flavors.
🛒 Ingredient notes
For the homemade graham cracker crust:
- Graham crackers - You will need approximately 15 graham cracker sheets. If you buy a standard box of graham crackers, there are 9 sheets in each sleeve. You could use as few as 12 graham crackers and as many as 18 (two full sleeves) in this recipe, depending on whether you prefer a thinner crust or thicker crust. For me, 15 graham cracker sheets gives you what I call the Goldilocks crust: it's just right :)
- Butter - Use one stick of unsalted butter that is melted and slightly cooled.
- Brown sugar - Use light brown sugar, also known as golden brown sugar. When measuring, be sure to pack down the sugar into the measuring cup and level off the top to get the correct amount.
- Cinnamon - A little ground cinnamon adds some lovely fall flavors to the crust.
- Salt - Use kosher salt to balance the sweetness of the crust.
For the sweet potato pie filling:
- Sweet Potato Pie Mix- Canned sweet potato pie mix is a great shortcut to making southern sweet potato pie! I am a fan of Farmers Market Foods' organic canned sweet potato pie mix. The mix is 100% organic and has a little bit of nutmeg for added flavor.
- Evaporated milk - This helps gives the pie an extra creamy texture.
- Eggs - Use three large eggs, at room temperature. They help give the pie structure.
- Vanilla - Use pure vanilla extract to add that luscious irresistible bakery aroma and flavor.
- Cinnamon - A little bit of ground cinnamon adds even more fall flavors to the sweet potato and nutmeg already in the pie mix.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
You'll find the full list of ingredients and detailed instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here are some step-by-step photos to help you make the best pie ever.
Start by preheating the oven to 375°F.
- Grease the inside bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
OPTIONAL: line the pan with parchment paper on the bottom and around the sides. This helps make sure the pie will come out of the pie pan cleanly.
2. Add the graham crackers to a large food processor and process until you have small graham cracker crumbs. Depending on the size of your food processor, you may need to process half of the cookies first, then add the second half to the crumbs for a second pulse.
3. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt, and pulse until well combined.
4. Add the mixed crust crumbles to the prepared pan and press the crumbs into the bottom of the pan into an even layer so there are no holes or loose sections. You can also press the crumbs so they go up the sides a bit.
5. Bake the crust at 375°F for 7-10 minutes, just until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, make the filling.
6. In a large mixing bowl, pour in two cans of sweet potato pie filling. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk, cinnamon, and heavy cream until fully combined and smooth.
7. Pour the sweet potato mixture into pan on top of the the prebaked buttery pie crust. Optional: to make it easy to take the pie in and out of the oven, you can place the pie pan on top of a baking sheet.
8. Bake the pie, uncovered, at 400°F for 15 minutes. Then lower the heat to 375°F for 35 to 45 minutes. The center top of the pie will be slightly jiggly but shouldn't be too jiggly.
Allow the pie to cool then chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You can, but I would add a half teaspoon of nutmeg plus a Tablespoon (or more) of granulated sugar to match the flavor of sweet potato pie mix.
Yes! While this recipe includes a recipe for homemade crust, you can certainly substitute a store-bought graham cracker crust.
Allow the pie to cool, then wrap in plastic wrap and/or place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes! To make it easy to take out portions at a time, you can freeze individual slices. Wrap in plastic wrap then place in a freezer bag or freezer safe airtight container in the freezer for up to two months.
🍂 Free Thanksgiving Planner Printable
Want a printable Thanksgiving timeline, turkey thawing chart, and more Thanksgiving recipes? Click on the image below to download the free Thanksgiving Planner printable.
🍽 Serving ideas
If serving this sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving, serve it with:
- Thanksgiving Turkey Charcuterie Board
- Air Fryer Turkey Tenderloin or Spatchcock Turkey
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Knots
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Mushroom Marsala
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Bowl - You will need a large bowl and whisk to mix together the sweet potato pie filling.
- Food processor - You will need either a large food processor or a high powered blender to crush the graham crackers and blend the ingredients to make the graham cracker crust.
- Springform pan - Use a 9-inch springform pan, which makes it easy to release the baked pie from the pie plate. Alternatively, you could bake this pie in a baking dish or pie dish.
- Parchment paper - Parchment paper is optional, but I always like adding it to make sure the pie comes out easily and intact from the pan.
More fall recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Sweet Potato Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
For the graham cracker crust
- 15 graham cracker sheets
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Make the crust
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease the inside of a 9-inch springform pan. Optional: I also like to place parchment paper on the bottom and the sides for added ease in removing the pie from the pan and keeping the crust intact. Set the pan aside.
- In a large food processor, process the graham cracker sheets until they turn into fine crumbles.
- Add the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt, and process until well combined.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the prepared springform pan so that the bottom layer is even. You can press some of the mixture to go slightly up the sides around the edge if you like.
- Bake at 375°F for 7-10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. While the crust is baking, make the sweet potato pie filling.
Make the sweet potato pie filling
- In a large bowl whisk together the sweet potato pie mix from two cans, the evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Then lower the heat to 375°F and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes. The middle might have a slight jiggle but it should not be too jiggly.
- Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This post is sponsored by Farmers Market Foods. The recipe, photos, content, and opinions are all my own.