Looking for a SUPER EASY, one-pot meal? This Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken is IT!
Easy meals are awesome, right? The kind of "dump recipes" (that term makes me cringe, but that's what people call them!) that you place all the ingredients into one pot. Then you walk away while the pressure cooker or slow cooker does all the work.
But in addition to being super easy, these dishes also need to be super tasty!
This Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken is not only SO super easy peasy. It's also packed with yummy flavors and textures. We LOVE the tangy spices in this dish! But it's mild enough for the whole family to enjoy.
AND, it's a very versatile.
What's great about Fiesta Chicken
Fiesta chicken is like a party on a plate!
It's a medley of Southwestern-inspired ingredients with complementary flavors and textures, and you can serve it a variety of ways.
We've made this chicken dinner recipe several times. Make it once, and then enjoy it different ways for two days of leftovers. It's a yummy recipe that keeps on giving! :)
What do you need to make fiesta chicken?
For this Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken dish, you'll need:
- frozen chicken breasts - If you're like me, you often decide on dinner right before it's time to eat. This recipe is PERFECT for last minute dinners because you can use FROZEN chicken! Yep, no need to thaw You can also use fresh chicken. If you do, simply decrease the pressure cooking time by 5 minutes.
- taco seasoning - use your favorite store-bought taco seasoning or whip up this yummy homemade BBQ seasoning in less than 5 minutes!
- black beans - these add high fiber, vitamins, minerals, and more protein to the dish, as well as tasty texture.
- corn - I can't imagine this dish without corn. It adds a beautiful bit of sweetness to the richness of it all.
- salsa - choose your favorite store-bought salsa (this is our family's fave store-bought salsa) or whip up this restaurant-style homemade salsa.
- chicken broth - this helps cook the chicken properly in the Instant Pot, making it nice and tender and shreddable. Chicken broth also adds another layer of brothy flavor to the dish.
How do you cook frozen chicken in a pressure cooker?
One of the best features of the Instant Pot is being able to cook frozen meat in it. For people like me, who often decide what to eat right before dinner time, not having to remember to thaw meat for recipes is a huge plus!
Some tips to help you cook frozen chicken in the pressure cooker:
- When you get home from the store with your chicken, lay the individual chicken breasts or breast tenders apart in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze the chicken. And then place into a freezer-safe bag or container. This helps ensure you don't have one big block of frozen chicken when you're ready to cook.
- If you DO have one big block of chicken all frozen together, take a minute to separate them out. Frozen chicken will cook much more evenly if you separate them out before cooking in the Instant Pot.
You can also purchase already frozen chicken breasts in the freezer aisle of your grocery store. These typically have already been separated, making cooking this Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken recipe a cinch!
What wine to serve with this fiesta chicken dish?
The spices and richness of this fiesta chicken recipe calls for an equally bold and spicy red wine. Pair this chicken dish with a big, peppery Carmenere or fuller-bodied, savory Tempranillo.
Truth be told, I've also enjoyed this dish with a lively Albariño. The acidity of this Spanish white wine balances the richness of the dish and helps bring out some of the more nuanced flavors within the ingredients.
More chicken dinner recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- Immunity Boosting Chicken Soup
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken: Make Once, Eat Twice Recipe
Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken
- 1 pound frozen chicken breast
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup salsa
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and seal it. Set to PRESSURE COOK (or MANUAL on some Instant Pots), on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the timer is up, allow pressure to release on natural pressure.
- When the valve is down and all pressure has been released, carefully open the lid.
- Transfer chicken to a large bowl. Shred the chicken with two forks. Serve immediately or freeze for later (see Notes for serving ideas)
- serve over rice
- use as taco meat
- serve over nachos
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
This sounds so simple and delicious Marlynn! Perfect for Taco Tuesday!
Catherine @ To & Fro Fam says
I love that so many people are using the quarantine to make involved, fancy meals—but with two kids, a full time job and a side gig, that is SO not me. I still need quick, easy weeknight dinners, and this fiesta chicken recipe is just that!
Jana Seitzer says
I can't wait to try this! It looks delish!