Funfetti Pancakes are sweet, light, fluffy pancakes filled with brightly colored rainbow sprinkles. They are perfect for birthdays and almost any other special occasion, or just for weekend brunch!
Pancakes are an amazing meal choice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. We love making these fluffy Apple Cinnamon Pancakes on weekends when we have a little extra time.
But have you ever had a Pancake Cake? For my daughter's 12th birthday, she requested a waffle cake, so we made a huge pile of Chocolate Chip Waffles, topped them with sprinkles and whipped cream, and voila! Breakfast turned into a festive celebratory dessert!
The same can be done with pancakes. These Funfetti Pancakes are perfect as birthday pancakes for birthday celebrations (or any special celebration!), or simply fun pancakes for simple weekends at home.
🌟 Why this recipe works
Any day is a special day when you make these fun and festive Funfetti Pancakes! They are the perfect way to make anyone smile at breakfast or brunch. You'll love them for so many reasons:
- Easy - Making this breakfast recipe is super easy. See the step-by-step photos below.
- Simple ingredients - No fancy ingredients necessary! You probably already have what you need to make these colorful confetti pancakes in your fridge and pantry.
- Fast - Whip these up in 30 minutes or less!
- Fun & Festive - Who doesn't love sprinkles?! They make for a super fun breakfast!
- Freezer-friendly - Like most pancakes, you can freeze these in a freezer bag and pop them into a toaster when you're ready to eat them. You'll easily have breakfast throughout the week!
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Dry ingredients - You'll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt.
- Sprinkles - Use your favorite baking sprinkles. They can be any color combo! I have found that the longer thin sprinkle shapes work best in this recipe and not the small round pareils.
- Wet ingredients - For the wet ingredients, you'll need whole or 2% milk (can substitute skim milk, almond milk, or oat milk), sugar, vegetable oil, and two eggs. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature. Simply take them out of the fridge before you are ready to start gathering the other ingredients and start baking. Room temperature eggs will incorporate more smoothly into the batter, creating lighter, fluffier pancakes.
Plus: you will also need either cooking spray or some butter to cook the pancakes.
Optional: you can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the wet ingredients if you want to add a classic baked goods flavor.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
You'll find full ingredient measurements and instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. But here's a visual step-by-step guide of how to make funfetti pancakes to help you along the way!
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. That includes the sprinkles!
2. In a separate large bowl (or medium bowl), whisk together the wet ingredients.
3. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring to incorporate all of the ingredients together.
4. Stir until there are no more dry bits of flour, but be careful not to overmix. This can result in tough pancakes. Then - and this is a very important step! - let the pancake mix rest for 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, pre-heat the griddle to medium heat around 250-275°F.
5. After the batter has rested and your griddle has reached 250-275°F, add a pat of butter or come cooking spray to the griddle. Spoon, ladle, or scoop out about ¼ cup of batter and pour into a circle shape on top of the melted butter on your pre-heated griddle.
6. Allow the pancakes to cook undisturbed until you start to see small bubbles forming on top. Then it's time to flip them over and cook on the other side. Cook just until the center of each pancake is cooked through and no wet batter remains, then repeat until you have finished using all of the pancake batter.
Serve immediately or freeze.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
You can use this same recipe to make funfetti waffles!
It's important not to overmix the batter, and to use baking powder. Mix just until all ingredients are combined, make sure you use baking powder (not baking soda), and you should have nice, fluffy pancakes!
Pancakes are super freezer-friendly. Allow the pancakes to cool at room temperature first, then place into a ziplock freezer bag in a single layer, with sheets of parchment paper or wax paper in between layers to keep the pancakes from sticking to one another. Freeze for up to two months. To reheat: pop individual pancakes into a toaster oven.
🍽 Serving ideas
Make birthday cake pancakes! For the ultimate birthday breakfast, stack the pancakes, top with whipped cream, add extra sprinkles, and place birthday candles on top.
For breakfast or brunch pancakes, serve with maple syrup. These pancakes would be delicious as part of a Brunch Board as a fun way to serve guests who come over -- or just for your fam!
🍳 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this recipe? Here are the kitchen tools and equipment you'll need:
- Mixing bowl - You'll need a large bowl to mix together the ingredients.
- Whisk - A large balloon whisk will help you evenly mix the ingredients together.
- Griddle - If you have a stovetop griddle or an electric griddle, use that to cook these pancakes. Otherwise, you can use a large non-stick skillet.
- Spatula - You'll need a wide, flat spatula to flip the pancakes.
More breakfast and brunch recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1¼ cup milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, sprinkles.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, and milk.
- Beat in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat your griddle to 250-275°F. Spray the griddle with cooking spray.
- Once the griddle is heated, add ¼ cup of batter to the griddle. Work in batches, cooking 2 or 3 pancakes at a time for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Flip once small bubbles start to form on the top.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
Leave a Reply