Looking for a fast and satisfying meal? This Butternut Squash Ravioli is coated with a rich brown butter sauce and topped with crispy sage and pecans. It's a pasta recipe that's full of mouthwatering fall flavors. You can make it in less than 30 minutes!
This easy Butternut Squash Ravioli is a dish inspired by a meal I enjoyed at a local restaurant when we first moved out to the suburbs. It was a butternut squash ravioli with crumble goat cheese and hazelnuts, and brown butter sage cream sauce. It melted in my mouth and I was determined to make it at home - but without the parmesan cheese.
I've been making this dish for Work From Home Lunches for years now. It comes together in 20 minutes (sometimes 15 minutes!) and it is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. It makes enough for two people but you can double the recipe to serve four.
I love this delicious butternut squash ravioli pasta recipe so much, and hope you do, too!
🧄 Ingredient notes
Another reason to love this fast and easy pasta recipe: you only need five (5) simple ingredients!
Butternut Squash Ravioli - sure you can make your own homemade butternut squash ravioli. But to save time, I love using this refrigerated store-bought ravioli that I get at my local grocery store. You can substitute pumpkin ravioli if you wish.
Butter - Since butter is the star ingredient in this sauce, use the best quality unsalted butter you can find. It's key in the browned butter sauce.
Garlic - I love a lot of fresh garlic with my pasta. But as always, you can use more or less, depending on your tastebuds.
Sage - fresh sage leaves are in order for this recipe. They crisp up beautifully in the brown butter sauce and add a delightful crunch to the dish. You can substitute fresh thyme if you prefer.
Pecans - you can buy a package of finely chopped pecans at the grocery store. Or, buy whole pecans and chop them yourself before you begin cooking. You can also substitute toasted walnuts instead of pecans.
✅ Step-by-step instructions
A full ingredients list and instructions are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here's a visual step-by-step guide to making this ravioli.
In a large pot with boiling water, cook the pasta according to package directions.
In a large skillet or large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Then add the sage leaves and sauté just until crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and transfer the crispy sage leaves to a paper towel-lined plate.
Add the garlic cloves and pecans to the butter in the pan and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked ravioli from the large pot of water to the skillet. Toss the ravioli in the skillet to coat the ravioli in the sauce. Plate the ravioli and sprinkle some of the sage butter sauce with garlic and pecans over the ravioli. Top with a few crispy sage leaves.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Yes! I have made this recipe with my favorite vegan butter before. Just be aware that the vegan butter you use may not brown like full dairy butter browns. The taste is still delicious!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days.
🍽 Serving ideas
This butternut squash ravioli with sauce is a hearty complete meal on its own, but it's also delicious with a side salad and a side dish like Air Fryer Garlic Bread.
It's also delicious with any of these side dishes:
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Mushroom Marsala
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Garlic Rosemary Focaccia
- Garlic Parmesan Knots
🥂 Wine pairing
A crisp Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, or Pinot Blanc would pair deliciously with this rich and nutty pasta dish.
🥘 Kitchen tools and equipment
Ready to make this butternut squash ravioli recipe?
- Large pot - to boil the water and cook the ravioli.
- Skillet or sauté pan - to brown the butter. sauté the garlic, crisp the sage, and then finish off the ravioli with the sauce.
- Spoon/Spatula - use a wooden spoon or heatproof silicone spatula to sauté the ingredients in the pan.
More pasta recipes
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to leave a 5-Star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card, and if you really loved it, please leave a comment further down on the page. Thank you!
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Crispy Sage and Brown Butter Sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package refrigerated butternut squash ravioli
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6-10 fresh sage leaves, stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Boil water in a large pot and cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Allow the butter to brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Then add the sage leaves and sauté just until crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and transfer the crispy sage leaves to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the garlic and pecans to the butter in the pan and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the ravioli from the pot of water to the skillet. Toss the ravioli in the skillet to coat the ravioli in the sauce. Plate the ravioli and sprinkle some of the sauce with garlic and pecans over the ravioli. Top with a few crispy sage leaves.
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.