Homemade breakfast sandwiches are easy and delicious. Start your day off with a hearty, satisfying, and Healthier Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich!
Today it's homemade breakfast sandwiches: I'm sharing a hearty and Healthier Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich!
For the Love of Homemade Breakfast Sandwiches
I have always loved breakfast sandwiches. I grew up constantly eating breakfast on-the-go, with early morning before-school activities and early morning weekend tournaments. My family would rise & shine at dawn to drive up to the Seattle area to visit family on weekends or do road trips during spring and summer breaks, and we'd always stop and get some breakfast sandwiches on the way.
But fast food breakfast sandwiches aren't exactly healthy... and neither are most of the ones you'll find at grocery stores and restaurants either.
Homemade breakfast sandwiches, on the other hand, can be just as satisfying and delicious without the added fats and preservatives.
Healthier Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
As many of you know who have been hanging out here with me on the blog for a few years, one of my recipe development and food photography clients is Franz Bakery. I've been gobbling up their bread products since I was a kid and remember touring their factory in Northeast Portland with my school. I love the company - and their products.
When I was asked to develop a recipe using their Organic Great Seed Bread, I instantly thought of using it as part of a homemade breakfast sandwich. Why?
- It's hearty and can stand up to holding the contents of a big breakfast sandwich.
- The texture lends itself to a sandwich that is meatier and flavorful.
- It's great for breakfast because it's PACKED with vitamins and nutrients!
Combined with homemade Italian sausage patties, eggs, Swiss cheese, and a nice mound of sautéed spinach for a superfood boost, this is one satisfying breakfast sandwich!
Note: if you are dairy-free, try the Daiya Foods Swiss-style slices. They recently changed their formula and I love their dairy-free products so much more now!
Homemade Breakfast Sandwiches: Healthier Sausage & Egg Sandwich
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup spinach
- 8 slices of Franz Bakery Great Seed Bread
- 8 slices of Swiss cheese 2 slices per sandwich
- 1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground Italian sausage, minced garlic clove, and chopped parsley and tarragon until the garlic and herbs are well blended and distributed throughout.
- 2. Form four rectangular patties to fit the size of the bread slices.
- 3. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- 4. Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, cook sausage patties until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Set cooked patties aside on a plate. If you wish, you may drain any excess oil (all but one tablespoon, which you’ll need for the eggs) from the pan before cooking the eggs.
- 5. Using the same pan, cook eggs to your liking; fried, over easy/medium/hard, and scrambled all work for this sandwich.
- 6. Once the eggs are cooked, set them aside, along with the patties.
- 7. In the same pan, add spinach and stir, cooking until the spinach has wilted slightly and turned a darker green color. Remove from heat.
Now it’s time to build your sandwich!
- 1. Either in a microwave on a microwave safe plate, or in the same pan that you used for cooking the other ingredients, heat two overlapping slices of cheese on top of a slice of bread just until the cheese has melted. Continue until you have four slices of bread topped with melted cheese.
- 2. Top each slice with one Italian sausage patty.
- 3. Top each with one egg.
- 4. Add a handful of cooked spinach to the top of each.
- 5. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread.
What do YOU like on your homemade breakfast sandwiches?
Franz Bakery is a client of mine. All opinions, recipes, and photos are, as always, my own.