This Honey Soy Baked Chicken recipe is a little bit sweet, salty, and crunchy. But a whole lot of delicious!
It's Friday. What a week! If you're as exhausted and pressed for time as I am during the week, you'll love today's recipe. It is SUPER easy, and delicious -- and probably one of the only baked chicken breast recipes I will eat!
Easy Honey Soy Baked Chicken
First, I should share that I am not normally a big fan of chicken breast recipes. I usually find them bland, dry, blah, boring, and uninspiring.
Unless it involves frying. Then I'm all in. I have a fried chicken problem, I really do. I want to eat all of the fried chicken in every restaurant in the whole world. Alas, something tells my that is not a healthy goal in life...
I digress. Back to this recipe, which calls for baked chicken breast that is actually flavorful and so tasty. And, almost like fried chicken because of the coating.
Soaking the chicken in the almond milk beforehand helps add moisture to the chicken breasts. Then I use almond meal instead of flour here, mix it with paprika, minced garlic, sea salt, cracked pepper, dunk it in an egg and almond milk bath, then twice coat these babies before baking them.
Toward the end of the baking time, simply spoon the honey soy sauce mixture over the chicken and finish baking.
This honey soy baked chicken is so good! The honey soy sauce gives it a nice sheen and adds a little extra sweet crunch to the coating.
This recipe is grain free, gluten free, and dairy free.
PALEO: you can make this Paleo by simply eliminating the soy sauce (or keep it in - read Paleo magazine's take on soy sauce here).
- 1 lb chicken breasts lightly pounded to flatten and thin out
- 1 cup almond milk
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup honey
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- Optional: chopped green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a shallow, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly season both sides of each chicken breast, then soak in a bowl of 1 cup almond milk in the refrigerator for at 20-30 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the almond meal, garlic, paprika, sea salt, and cracked pepper.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and ⅓ cup almond milk.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and dip, one at a time, into the almond meal mixture, coating all sides.
- Then using your other hand, dip into the egg and almond milk mixture. Then return to the almond meal dry mixture to coat one last time before placing on the prepared baking sheet and placing in the oven.
- Bake chicken for 20 minutes. During that time, mix together the honey and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- At 20 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and gently drizzle the honey soy sauce mixture evenly over each chicken breast.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, and serve with your choice of dipping sauce.