This tasty Thai Coconut Chicken recipe is healthy, hearty meal that's easy to make, and full of flavor. Perfect to make for a special dinner with a loved one, or for any busy weeknight family meal!
Healthy AND Hearty
This time of year is so interesting in terms of tastebud needs and wants. It's a new year, a fresh start - so we lean toward healthy foods with wholesome ingredients. Yet, we're also looking to Valentine's Day, a day that historically involves indulgence and sweets.
I believe this healthy, hearty meal meets you and your loved ones in the middle: it's healthy and wholesome, but also makes for a lovely romantic dinner for two that you can serve on Valentine's Day.
Healthy Hearty Meals: Thai Coconut Chicken
Here's what I love most about this dish:
- You cook everything for the main dish in one pan. Less mess, less clean-up afterward!
- Enjoy this as mild or as spicy as you prefer.
- It takes just about 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
- This is better than take-out! You feel as if you are eating an indulgent, expensive meal, yet it's healthy and inexpensive to make at home.
- Thai coconut chicken freezes well. You can easily double the recipe and freeze half to enjoy later!
What to serve with this easy Thai chicken dish
I serve this Thai Coconut Chicken with brown rice, but you can also easily serve it with:
- quinoa, farro, or frekeh
- rice noodles, for more of an Asian bowl meal
- use double the amount of coconut milk and lime juice, and prepare it in a large stockpot to enjoy this as a soup!
Now, this Thai Coconut Chicken recipe has ginger and lime, but it has a lovely sweet, mild flavor.
To add heat to this dish: you can add a little Thai red curry paste. Start with just a ½ teaspoon then add more if you want. Or add a few chili peppers.
What wine pairs well with Thai coconut chicken?
I love a crisp, lively Riesling with this delicious Thai dish. Choose an aromatic Riesling with notes of white flower blossom and citrus. The high acidity helps balance the creamy coconut in this dish, and also brings out the subtle spices.
My pick: a Brooks Winery Estate Riesling ($34).
More easy Thai recipes
- Thai Peanut Curry
- Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing (CPK Copycat Recipe)
- Easy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe
- CPK Thai Chicken Pizza (Copycat Recipe)
Healthy Hearty Meals: Thai Coconut Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 7-10 medium basil leaves, roughly chopped or torn
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Salt & pepper chicken on each side, then sauté just until cooked, about 5-7 minutes on each side. (See notes)
- Lower heat to low-medium and transfer chicken to a plate when cooked.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, then add red peppers and sauté until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes, stirring throughout. Add the garlic and ginger, stir for another minute.
- Slowly add coconut milk and lime juice. Stir, and bring to a low boil.
- Return chicken to the pan and finish with most of the freshly chopped basil and cilantro (leave some for garnish!).
Nutrition information is a general estimate. Actual nutrition details may vary depending on the exact foods & brands you use to make this recipe. It does not take into account any substitutions, toppings, or optional ingredients.
You list garlic and ginger in the ingredients list, but not in the recipe. When do you add these two ingredients?
EXTRA spicy for me please. Love using thai spices in my cooking. Looks really good!
Hannah Adkins says
This looks so delicious! I think I would add just a dash of shaved coconut as well!
I am such a big fan of coconut milk. I love soup with coconut milk in it. This sounds and looks so good. Can't wait to try it dear.
Yona Williams says
I love dishes that incorporate coconut, so this would be right up my alley. I also like the use of lime and ginger in the recipe.
This looks beyond amazing! I love pretty much all chicken dishes so this looks amazing! I love thai food too! It's definitely one of my favorite types of food for date nights with the hubby too!
Wow, such a lovely picture perfect winter! And what an amazing recipe for the season. Love this - looks so yum!!
This looks so good! I have to try this. I love Thai food and this is something I think my family would really enjoy.
Wow! This looks absolutely amazing! i admit when I first clicked I thought it looked yum, but it looked like it would take a long time to prep and cook!! Glad it doesn't! Adding these items to my meal plan for next week! I can't wait to see how it tastes!
I'm not the biggest fan of coconut so had I not seen the photos of this I probably wouldn't really consider eating it but your photos? Make me want to reach through the screen, YUM
I've made a very similar recipe in the past. I just love the flavor combinations. It is also pretty easy to make.
Erica Nicole says
I'm 6 months pregnant and have been CRAVING Thai food! This recipe seems easy enough! Thanks for sharing our recipe!
Omg can we saybyum?!?! I just love coconut!!!must give your recipe a try
Robin Rue says
This looks so delicious! I am loving all of the different flavors. I am going to have to give this a try soon.
Amanda Ripsam says
I really wish I could make thai Coconut chicken now I will have to save the recipe to my food pinterest board